Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Viking Saphire 835 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/viking-saphire-835-a-t97058.html)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-05-2011 03:44 PM

I'm looking at a Viking Saphire 835 at the only dealer anywhere near me. Their price is $999, but we have not started negotiating yet and I can tell they will either come down or throw in some goodies. It has a 10 inch throat.

This all started because I was looking at a Brother PQ1500S. I have a cheap Brother that I love but would love to have more throat space. The PQ1500S has a nine inch throat and no fancy stitches. Not that I do fancy stitches. It costs about $750 from Amazon.

What do you think?

katier825 02-05-2011 04:07 PM

I have the Sapphire 830. Had it for 1-1/2 years and I think I paid $899. Mine was a floor model. I think for brand new out of the box that isn't bad. If you think they would be receptive to the idea, I'd either negotiate down or ask them to throw in the new walking foot w/snap in feet. You might want the snap on stitch in the ditch foot too.

Love my Viking!

fireworkslover 02-05-2011 05:02 PM

I bought a Sapphire 875 Quilt last Sept. Spent more than what you're thinking of but has a couple features the 835 doesn't: like bobbin sensor, scissors (which I absolutely LOVE). Also I really , really love the whole way this machine works, when you put your foot on the pedal, the pressure foot automatically comes down and you can start sewing right now. This is so great and I didn't realize how wonderful it is, until I used the machine awhile. I don't know if any other brands have this feature. So if you are unsure about going with the Sapphire, I highly reccomend you bring some fabric with you and go sew on it before you buy anything. You could always ask if they could throw in a walking foot, free motion spring foot, 1/4" piecing foot or extra bobbins.

feffertim 02-05-2011 06:23 PM

I also have the sapphire 875quilt and I love,love,love it. It is a dream to sew with and the extras that fireworkslover talks about are what makes it so great. The thread cutter is so wonderful, the auto tension, the way the presser foot lifts a little when you stop sewing so that you can pivot your fabric. I saw one on Ebay through a dealer for quite a bit cheaper, and when I showed my Husqvarna dealer the ad, they called headquarters and got an OK to sell me one for the same price, so I got a great deal.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-05-2011 06:35 PM

Oh, interesting about the E-bay dealer. I'll have to look into that.

bgullett 02-05-2011 06:41 PM

I have an 835, I absolutely love it!

feffertim 02-05-2011 06:43 PM

Yes, it was a legit dealer that sells all makes of sewing machines and supplies, just can't remember their name but they advertise on EBay all the time. Anyway they had really good prices, much less than the viking dealer.

akgranny 02-05-2011 09:04 PM

love my saphire 835

quiltjoey 02-05-2011 09:08 PM

Love my Viking D1. Has so many bells and whistles and is smarter than I am! Also have several Singers, Janome, Kenmore with cams, and 2 sergers.

funnydk 07-02-2011 05:59 AM

I have the 835 Sapphire and it does have the auto pressure foot feature and it's fantastic for applique when you are turning your pieces frequently it lifts just enough to turn. do you any of you have suggestions though on how to do free motion with the heavier weight cotton threads - I am fine with the 35wt coats and clarks but any variances and my thread breaks - I've adjusted tension and tried different type needles and thread in both vertical and horizontal positions and still have breakage.