Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Virtual Quilting Weekend -- August 4-6, 2017 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/virtual-quilting-weekend-august-4-6-2017-a-t290157.html)

Raggiemom 08-03-2017 11:30 AM

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- August 4-6, 2017

It's that time of the month again--Virtual Quilting Weekend! I'm off to supper before our monthly quilt guild meeting tonight so thought I would get this started early so I don't forget :). We have a national speaker tonight--Linda Schmidt. Tomorrow I will be taking a workshop (Miniature Landscapes) with her which should be fun. Saturday I go to a local quilt shop for an open sew with several friends. Then hopefully Sunday I will sandwich and quilt a couple quilts. Or I could bind the two quilts I'm picking up from the long-armer tonight. Such decisions!

What will YOU be working on this weekend? Please share with the rest of us. Looking forward to seeing and reading your replies :)

Next VQW will be September 1-4 (Labor Day weekend for us Americans).

rryder 08-03-2017 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yay! I'm in,

Rob

here's a sneak peak of what I'm working on this weekend:

Boston1954 08-03-2017 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have just finished the top for my snowman quilt. Will get it pinned soon.

Now I am open for something else. I am starting Edyta Sitar's lantern. The one with holly and a poinsettia. I plan to add some mistletoe, and make a couple of other small changes. It is looking good so far.

QuiltnNan 08-03-2017 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 7878809)
Yay! I'm in,

Rob

wow, that looks amazing

QuiltnNan 08-03-2017 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 7878810)

Now I am open for something else. I am starting Edyta Sitar's lantern. The one with holly and a poinsettia. I plan to add some mistletoe, and make a couple of other small changes. It is looking good so far.

i agree, looking good so far

QuiltnNan 08-03-2017 12:41 PM

i've received some donation fabric that needs sorting and trying to imagine what it can be made into.

petthefabric 08-03-2017 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 7878809)
Yay! I'm in,

Rob

Love what you've done. And wonder how you've done some things. Is the yellow/brown and ombre or hand dye or what? I can see a hand dye with resists. Is the dark brown weeds confetti? Love the sun affect in the quilting and the weeds in the quilting.

petthefabric 08-03-2017 01:28 PM

I'll probably participate some, but have lots to do. Must pack for a retreat, take dog to DD, take some tests, pick-up my machine from service, clean out the frig......

Been having a retreat for 3 days with my quilt buddy. Got backs completed and will take some on the retreat to quilt. Less to travel with when it's all decided and preprepped.

So see you when I can.

rryder 08-03-2017 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 7878810)

Definitely looking good!

Rob

rryder 08-03-2017 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 7878898)
Love what you've done. And wonder how you've done some things. Is the yellow/brown and ombre or hand dye or what? I can see a hand dye with resists. Is the dark brown weeds confetti? Love the sun affect in the quilting and the weeds in the quilting.

Thanks quiltnnan and petthefabric! It's collaborative piece with my partner. He's also an artist. His mediums are printmaking, photography and collage. This piece started out as two photographs that he took years ago, then he combined them into a digital collage, worked some more digital magic and had Spoonflower print it on nice quilting fabric. Normally he would have done the printing himself, but his printer can't handle that large a piece.

the dark brown is actually red (I'm not sure why it shows up as brown on the screen)-- that's part of the print. It pops forward because of the way I've quilted around it, same with the branches. The various weed shapes in the background are mostly things I added in quilting. Still have a ways to go, lots of dark areas need to be pushed back so the branch and lighter parts of the leaf litter pop out some more, and I'm toying with some ideas for hand embellishments to add after the quilting is completed.

Rob