Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   waiting room sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/waiting-room-sewing-t113667.html)

JanTx 04-05-2011 05:51 AM

My husband had back surgery last week and the whole time I was there - from check in, to the pre-surgery room, to the waiting room - I had a quilt top with me. It's a baseball quilt for a grandson and has about 45 baseballs on it that will rag when washed. The top is pieced and I was embroidering the stitching on each baseball. (Pics later)

Anyway - everywhere I went that quilt warmed up the room, started conversations, and brought up shares of other quilits, other quilters and other times. It was amazing how such a simple thing made a stressful place into a cozier one.

Even people who didn't really join into a conversation said "that's sure pretty" or some such thing as they walked by.

I finished piecing this top several weeks ago and had put it with a hoop and supplies in a tote and saved it for this occasion. I know I'll do the same anytime I have to be in such a place. It sure made a difference!

NancyG 04-05-2011 05:55 AM

Great idea! I bet it made the time pass more quickly. Hope your hubby is doing well.

erstan947 04-05-2011 05:55 AM

Hope your DH is doing better. Quilts seem to bridge the gaps for you and others. Love to see your quilt when your finished:)

lbaillie 04-05-2011 05:56 AM

I've done that expect I'm always finishing the quilt for the grand baby I'm wait for!! Your right it does help with the stress!

BeeNana 04-05-2011 05:56 AM

Great story. Hope all is well with DH.
Hope you post a picture when done.
Thanks.

Dingle 04-05-2011 05:58 AM

Makes you fell real good doesn't it! :thumbup: Hope your Hubby is doing well.

mtspools 04-05-2011 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by JanTx
My husband had back surgery last week and the whole time I was there - from check in, to the pre-surgery room, to the waiting room - I had a quilt top with me. It's a baseball quilt for a grandson and has about 45 baseballs on it that will rag when washed. The top is pieced and I was embroidering the stitching on each baseball. (Pics later)

Anyway - everywhere I went that quilt warmed up the room, started conversations, and brought up shares of other quilits, other quilters and other times. It was amazing how such a simple thing made a stressful place into a cozier one.

Even people who didn't really join into a conversation said "that's sure pretty" or some such thing as they walked by.

I finished piecing this top several weeks ago and had put it with a hoop and supplies in a tote and saved it for this occasion. I know I'll do the same anytime I have to be in such a place. It sure made a difference!

I did the same when DH was in hospital only I did hand embroidery blocks for A quilt. have it ready for anytime I have to set and wait.Good luck to both of you.

JanTx 04-05-2011 06:01 AM

Hubby is doing fine, thank you - he's at the grumpy stage of recovery which is better than the "woe is me" stage.

The pre-admit nurse told me to be sure and have a jacket because the waiting room was so cold. Didn't need one - had my quilt!

champagnebubbles 04-05-2011 06:02 AM

Very nice story!!!

mtspools 04-05-2011 06:03 AM

Great news, Hope it continues.