Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   wal mart fabric bolts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wal-mart-fabric-bolts-t89312.html)

wendsy 01-11-2011 09:48 AM

Our local Walmart now measures each bolt before going on shelf, they've had problems with numbers of yards sold and yards in inventory. The ladies in fabric explained a bolt can be 7 to 12 yards, they hardly ever get 10 yds anymore!

irma tapia 01-11-2011 10:41 AM

Sounds like Wal MArt is getting cheated not to mention the person that would have bought the entire bolt and charged for 10 yards!

Next time I buy a whole bolt which is not often I will besure to have them check the yardage. The only bolt I have bought was the Warm & Natual from Jo Anns. Thanks for the heads up.

IBQLTN 01-11-2011 11:24 AM

I used to work at a Viking dealer's inside JoAnn's.

When JoAnn's does their inventory each year, they weigh the fabric. They also have signs posted in the break room that says "Thumb mistakes are costly" with a picture of a thumb. You guessed it, they're not supposed to give even a thumb's worth extra.

Lower end stores like Walmart (don't shoot me for saying this) and Ben Franklin have, in my experience, had more 'partial' bolts than others. What I mean by 'partial' is there will be more than one cut on the bolt.

BTW I was at Walmart last night and it looks like they got in a lot of new fabrics most of which are running $4.90 and up! I think I'll be buying a lot less fabric this year!

Hobby Lobby's prices had already gone up by $1.00 per yard at the beginning of December but I haven't been there this year yet to see what's going on with their prices.

Peggy

wordpaintervs 01-11-2011 12:26 PM

that was really interesting to learn about, and if I ever buy the entire bolt, I will have it measured out first.

A post note is this....I live in a smal coastal town in California with a 'soon to become' super Wal-mart. I have made friends with the clerks there, and upon asking what came of the 'cardboard' bolts, I found they were trashed or recycled or given away. Since I make and give away free 21 rag dolls and 24 inch rag dolls to kids withcancer and other devestating diseases, (see my topic for more info) and since generous hearts across the U.S.A. have sent so much fabric my way, I asked if they would save some empty fabric bolts for me. So far I have washed , ironed and put on the bolts 60 packages of fabric. Now I can easily see what fabrics are there to cut out the bodies, dresses, blue jeans, etc . What a godsend that was for me. Really helpful...so heres a thanks to the walmart clerks and the giving hearts of those who went out of their way to help these sick children.

Deborah12687 01-11-2011 12:57 PM

I have seen several times at different stores putting the plastic back around a bolt after cutting the fabric. I always make sure that when I get fabric cut it is cut streight and the yardage is what I wanted.

redhawk 01-11-2011 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd bought 10 fat quarters of a specific yellow from Joann's once. It was one they'd never sold a bty. I needed every scrap & hadn't found anymore at any other joann's.

2 of them (luckily the last uncut 2 in my pile) measured 2" short on both. I let the store know then emailed the company. Their excuse was "when the specifically for fat quarters are cut, sometimes the last pieces aren't 18 x 22". I sent back a reply that I had paid for 18x 22 pieces and they were marked as 18 x 22 and a customer shouldn't be penalized. I asked for a single fat quarter of their choice as a gesture of goodwill. They sent me a gift card worth $10. :)

And with very careful cutting and no mistake sewing, this was the end result.

Favorite Fabrics 01-11-2011 01:28 PM

Nice use of the FQs, Redhawk! Eye-catching and colorful.

Favorite Fabrics 01-11-2011 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN
Lower end stores like Walmart (don't shoot me for saying this) and Ben Franklin have, in my experience, had more 'partial' bolts than others. What I mean by 'partial' is there will be more than one cut on the bolt.

It might be that you are seeing the result of consolidating bolts. Your LQS may only ever have one bolt of a particular fabric, but the chains often carry fabric that they reorder again and again. And they may wrap their skinny bolt around their new one... and over time that can result in a bolt that is just a lot of pieces.

dixiechunk 01-11-2011 04:36 PM

I went to your website and realized you are carrying that gorgeous line of Rouge Red fabrics. It is enough to make a red lover drool. Nobody locally has carried it. Is it as beautiful up close and personal as it is on the computer?

Originally Posted by QKO
Whether you know it or not, the quality of the help in the distributor's double and roll operation directly affects the price you pay for fabric. If the manufacturer or distributor accepts low-quality junk from the printing/finishing plants, or if they hire a bunch of crack-heads into their double and roll operation, or if they fail to provide proper training and/or quality control, it affects the price you see at the checkout counter.

For us, the bottom line is, if we get split bolts or short bolts several times from a given manufacturer, and talking with them doesn't cure the problem, we quit buying from them.

If they can't hire reliable help and train them properly for their double and roll operations, and have someone doing quality control on that operation, I don't want to deal with them, and I don't care if they're the most popular fabrics on earth.

I'm picky about quality. And I'm just as picky about stuff coming in to my store as I am picky about how stuff is cut and sent out from my store. I expect my suppliers to be the same, and if they're not, they're not going to be my suppliers for long. I've already "fired" a couple of suppliers, and I'm about to "fire" another supplier for the same reasons.

QKO 01-11-2011 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
I went to your website and realized you are carrying that gorgeous line of Rouge Red fabrics. It is enough to make a red lover drool. Nobody locally has carried it. Is it as beautiful up close and personal as it is on the computer?

None of it looks as good on the computer as it does up close. All the FF fabrics have great quality and hand, too. :D