Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   wal mart fabric bolts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wal-mart-fabric-bolts-t89312.html)

sosewcrazy 01-11-2011 05:51 PM

Thanks for the heads-up!

butterflywing 01-11-2011 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by bluadept
Joann's wrapped bolts usually have more on them except the home dec stuff.

even though i hate joann for other reasons, that's been my experience too. and the one time i had a spliced bolt, they gave me 3.5 extra yards free from another incomplete bolt to compensate. that enabled me to get that side run on the back without a cross seam, and they let me keep the extra on the bolt.
of course they fired that manager.

glenda5253 01-11-2011 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Happens all the time, sadly.

JoAnn Fabrics bolts are usually about 1/8 yard short.

The other manufacturers, well, it varies. But we find that we come up short by 3/4 yard on nearly every bolt we sell. Some of it is due to "generous cuts" but not all.

Discouraging, isn't it?

Our JoAnn's always, always measures the bolt and......if it's 3 inches over they charge for the extra 3 inches BUT if they are short they send in a shortage slip to the company so the store will be reimbursed. :hunf: :hunf: :hunf: Have had it happen to me both ways. :|

Jim 01-11-2011 11:17 PM

Our Walmart measures every bolt they get in...and I never buy a bolt without having it measureed becuase of the shortages

QM 01-11-2011 11:18 PM

What boggles my mind is the 10 yard bolts! The last time I was awre of these things (probably 30 years ago) bolts normally ran 20-25 yards. Some chages are definitely not improvements. At that time, I bought a bolt of leak-damaged denim. We saw it opened and saw one yard cut off, so we said we'd take the whole thing less the greatly reduced price of one yard. After we washed the whole thing, we found we had 27 yards!!

ladyredhawk 01-11-2011 11:41 PM

that figures it's not bad enough that they keep going up on it now if they are shorting walmart by the bolt. good thing you made her count it

MerryQuilter 01-12-2011 05:29 AM

Thanks very informative.

Glenda Kay 01-12-2011 08:40 AM

I wondered about that. I also wonder if it is true in batting.

fktsewing 01-12-2011 11:14 AM

Used to work in a quilt shop and unfortunately, it is all too common for the bolts to have less than what they are marked. We had to check each bolt when they came in--2 folds = 1 yard then if we suspected that it was not at least what was marked on the bolt, we had to measure the whole bolt. I also worked for Wal Mart in the fabric dept and I can tell you that they DO NOT check the amount of fabric on the bolt with what is marked. So ladies, if you are needing a whole bolt, if I were you, I would make them measure it out. I am sure there are a lot of LQS and others who are not getting what they paid for. So Sad.

craftiladi 01-12-2011 06:03 PM

boy thats a eye open I didn't realize that could be the case...I guess that makes me to trusting.