Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walking Foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-t150593.html)

true4uca 09-05-2011 09:51 AM

I am trying to use a walking foot. Seems no matter which stitch length I use I get tiny stiches, almost impossible to rip out without ruining the fabric. Does this mean I have the wrong walking foot. I bought it when I bought my machine. I do have a request in to the Brother help line & they suggested thread, needle & bobbin, one of these were not right. So how come when I use my 1/4 inch foot the sewing is right. I even checked with my book, it sewed about 2 inches before it went to the tiny stiches.

momcpo 09-05-2011 09:52 AM

Look to make sure you have it on correctly. There is an arm that goes on top of or around where your needle goes, so it moves up and down when your needle does.

SharBear 09-05-2011 09:56 AM

I would suspect the connection of the walking foot. There is an "arm" that goes around the needle securing screw. looks almost like a tuning fork. that is what makes the upper "feed dogs" function.

Check and make sure your foot is on correctly ...

BellaBoo 09-05-2011 10:10 AM

My first walking foot gave me lots of trouble. A guild member looked at it and said you get what you pay for. I didn't know there were different quality of walking foots. I bought another one, about three times the price of the first one and what a difference! It feeds the layers of fabric evenly from the top and bottom. No stitch problems.

sc-sunshine 09-05-2011 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by momcpo
Look to make sure you have it on correctly. There is an arm that goes on top of or around where your needle goes, so it moves up and down when your needle does.

I had the same problem the first time I used my "brother" walking foot...you guessed it I didn't have it on correctly.

nativetexan 09-05-2011 10:52 AM

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...ment&seaxken=1
here are several. mine looks like the first one, with a bar that sits on top of the screw that you use to tighten your needle in. some have a curved fitting that fits on the screw itself.
also, make sure your feed dogs are up. they help pull the fabric through.

angiecub 09-05-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca
I am trying to use a walking foot. Seems no matter which stitch length I use I get tiny stiches, almost impossible to rip out without ruining the fabric. Does this mean I have the wrong walking foot. I bought it when I bought my machine. I do have a request in to the Brother help line & they suggested thread, needle & bobbin, one of these were not right. So how come when I use my 1/4 inch foot the sewing is right. I even checked with my book, it sewed about 2 inches before it went to the tiny stiches.

Could very well be the walking foot. The problem with a lot of walking feet now is that they are made to be universal, so they just don't work very well. This is the case with the walking foot I bought for my Brother machine and the walking foot we got for my daughter's Janome. I bought a Babylock walking foot for my Babylock and have an original Singer walking foot for my 401, and they work great.

Buckeye Rose 09-05-2011 12:01 PM

It can be a bit tricky to get the walking foot on correctly. Don't ask me how I know. Take a good look at it and make sure the "arm" that has the tuning fork end is around the tightening screw (not above it or below it, but around it). That will make all the difference in the world.

true4uca 09-05-2011 01:30 PM

I know it's installed correctly, but it is a universal,got it from a Brother dealer. I'm going to order one on-line from a real Brother dealer. Seems a dealer should sell the correct ones. So thanks angiecub for saying they are not all equal.

sc-sunshine 09-05-2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca
I know it's installed correctly, but it is a universal,got it from a Brother dealer. I'm going to order one on-line from a real Brother dealer. Seems a dealer should sell the correct ones. So thanks angiecub for saying they are not all equal.

my brother machine came with a walking foot so it works fine once I put it on right