Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wall Color for Sewing Room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wall-color-sewing-room-t133435.html)

Kappy 06-27-2011 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by brendadawg
I think I'm leaning towards some kind of light yellow. I'm off to find some samples and bring them home to "study". Thanks, ladies. Might put a wallpaper border in there, too. I love wallpaper, though folks don't use it much any more. My grandad and my daddy were paint contractors, and in the day, everyone had wallpaper. I guess that dates me; doesn't it? (LOL)

I use to help my Mom wall paper the ceiling....how old does that make me!! LOL I too like wall paper!

Lv2sew2011 06-27-2011 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by brendadawg
Remodeling laundry room to give me more sewing space. Any suggestions on wall color? Now it's a sort of "off-white". Is a subtle color better? If so, what color? I don't want anything bright and flashy. I just want whatever will make the room feel larger and not interfere with the color perception of the fabric. Thanks for any ideas.

I painted my room I think it was called Honey Beigh Yellow...I liked it so well ended up painting my hallway the same color...

Scissor Queen 06-27-2011 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
I would keep it as light as possible, so you can see the 'true' color of your fabric :). Have fun!

The color of your lighting will have a bigger impact on seeing the "true" color of your fabrics than the wall color will.

quilter41 06-27-2011 08:37 AM

Mine is cheerful. Yellow above and red below chair rail. I made a valance with sun flowers. Love that little room.

Ripped on Scotch 06-27-2011 08:55 AM

I recently found out I can repaint... since we have to do new floors too... I think I'm going to go with light breeze from Benjamin moore.

skippitydodahquilts 06-27-2011 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

I would keep it as light as possible, so you can see the 'true' color of your fabric :). Have fun!

The color of your lighting will have a bigger impact on seeing the "true" color of your fabrics than the wall color will.

I have the same lighting in two different rooms, and the color is different. I took some batiks that were clearly navy blue into my sewing room...took them into another room to look at the wall color with the batik and it looked black. :shock: Maybe it's because the two wall colors were so different, but that's just my experience.

Scissor Queen 06-27-2011 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

I have the same lighting in two different rooms, and the color is different. I took some batiks that were clearly navy blue into my sewing room...took them into another room to look at the wall color with the batik and it looked black. :shock: Maybe it's because the two wall colors were so different, but that's just my experience.

Even just a small difference in the direction of your windows or the number and size of windows can make a difference in the way your brain perceives colors.

Incandescent lighting is fairly yellow. Florescents can be blue or green and I've even seen some that's sort of pinkish orange.

Sunlight ranges from blue to yellow to occasionally red or orange.

But your brain likely perceives most of it as white.

grandmaquilts 06-27-2011 04:19 PM

Mine is lavender. I love it.

featherweight 06-27-2011 07:35 PM

I prefer mine white...

QuiltnLady1 06-27-2011 07:57 PM

Mine is cream color -- with all the fabric colors I needed a place to rest my eyes.