Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Wall Color for Sewing Room

Remodeling laundry room to give me more sewing space. Any suggestions on wall color? Now it's a sort of "off-white". Is a subtle color better? If so, what color? I don't want anything bright and flashy. I just want whatever will make the room feel larger and not interfere with the color perception of the fabric. Thanks for any ideas.

pale pretty yellow is much more cheery than off white. I painted my downstairs a color called "filtered sunlight" from Benjamin Moore. It is beautiful and won't overpower a room

Blog Entries
    My walls are white and I find it clean and comfortable.

Blog Entries
    I would go with a light color that makes you smile. Yellow is my favorite :)

Martha Stewart puts out a great yellow called "goats beard"
    which I have in one rm but I found my sewing rm needed to be light and bright so it's white.

I agree that yellow is a good color. It's very cheerful and there are a lot of really pretty pale shades of it. Pale blue is also something to consider. When we moved into our house we repainted most of the public living spaces a very pale aqua (Valspar "Distant Valley" ) and it was as if we'd knocked walls down, the way it opened up the space which was previously a caramel color. I was shocked.

But really, any pale shade that makes you happy is going to work. The more you like it, the better you'll enjoy your time there. :)

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is the northeast corner room. I painted it a yellow so it would feel warm & cozy in the winter. I've got white bead-board on the ceiling so it feels like an outdoor porch in the summer with the windows open. At least that's what I tell myself.

Blog Entries
    My color is Vellum by Sherwin Williams..very neutral and light

Whatever color makes you happy when you look at it. My sewing room has a wallpaper with a pale yellow background and flowers in peach, blue and white. I love it!

I love soft, light colors. Dark colors can change the appearance of fabric colors and be a bit depressing. That said, mine is hunter green on one wall and has burgundy carpet, but only because it was that way when we moved in.

dd
    Mine is lavender because my husband won't let me paint our bedroom that color. I made curtains to match. I finally have my purple bedroom I have always wanted since I was a kid. It has hardwood floor, easier to find the pins that way.

I did pale yellow because I'd read somewhere that it won't influence the shades of other colors and will help you see the true colors of your fabrics. Not sure it's true, but I loved it.

Mine is a light, cheery yellow and I love it.

I think I'm leaning towards some kind of light yellow. I'm off to find some samples and bring them home to "study". Thanks, ladies. Might put a wallpaper border in there, too. I love wallpaper, though folks don't use it much any more. My grandad and my daddy were paint contractors, and in the day, everyone had wallpaper. I guess that dates me; doesn't it? (LOL)

Whatever color you decide on, please don't purchase a color that resembles "skin". This is the color of my sewing area which happens to be the living room as well. If it wern't for the fact the my ceilings are 16 feet tall I would repaint in a soft grey.

My room is a nice buttery yellow. It's very calming and welcoming. Can't wait to get in there everyday!

I have yellow walls in my sewing room.

My sewing room was the den. I haven't repainted it. The walls are a forrest green. It went with the oversized green plaid couch and green recliners that were in it. I'm just happy to have the room for sewing. I gave away the practically brand new couch and recliners to some friends at church since my husband was moving me out of the dinning room for sewing. I'll get it painted one day. Right now, I'd rather visit this board and sew instead of paint.

I am a huge fan of yellow also; but a pale blue or soft shade of lt.olive green would be nice.

I would keep it as light as possible, so you can see the 'true' color of your fabric :). Have fun!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brendadawg
    I think I'm leaning towards some kind of light yellow. I'm off to find some samples and bring them home to "study". Thanks, ladies. Might put a wallpaper border in there, too. I love wallpaper, though folks don't use it much any more. My grandad and my daddy were paint contractors, and in the day, everyone had wallpaper. I guess that dates me; doesn't it? (LOL)
    I use to help my Mom wall paper the ceiling....how old does that make me!! LOL I too like wall paper!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brendadawg
    Remodeling laundry room to give me more sewing space. Any suggestions on wall color? Now it's a sort of "off-white". Is a subtle color better? If so, what color? I don't want anything bright and flashy. I just want whatever will make the room feel larger and not interfere with the color perception of the fabric. Thanks for any ideas.
    I painted my room I think it was called Honey Beigh Yellow...I liked it so well ended up painting my hallway the same color...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
    I would keep it as light as possible, so you can see the 'true' color of your fabric :). Have fun!
    The color of your lighting will have a bigger impact on seeing the "true" color of your fabrics than the wall color will.

Mine is cheerful. Yellow above and red below chair rail. I made a valance with sun flowers. Love that little room.

I recently found out I can repaint... since we have to do new floors too... I think I'm going to go with light breeze from Benjamin moore.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast