Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wallgreens-quilting-supplies-who-knew-thimble-yes-no-t137911.html)

charity-crafter 07-16-2011 03:54 AM

I keep losing my thimbles. I take small piece of plastic, like from a milk carton and place it over my pushing finger pad. Then I wrap with it with duct tape or several bandaids. It's not pretty, but it gets the job done and with the duct tape, it doesn't come off unless you want it to....but then you have the adhesive to scrub off you skin.

mar32428 07-16-2011 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by blueangel
I can't quilt with a thimble either

Me either. Which is why I don't do hand quilting. However I did find a novel one I can use on those rare occasions. It's not exactly a thimble but a strip of leather tied at the ends and fits around the end of your finger. I've had mine for several years and don't recall where I got them.

judi wess 07-16-2011 03:57 AM

The only thimble I've been able to get used to is the leather thimble with the metal coin on the end. I takes awhile for moisture and warmth to take the shape of your finger but when it does it feels great. Now to find something for the underfinger.

pamabla 07-16-2011 04:31 AM

I had to get used to wearing a thimble too, but can't sew without one now. I have a good assortment of thimbles, but my favorite is the cheapest one--a pink plastic one with a cut-out space for the fingernail. It can be adjusted to fit the finger by placing in hot water to soften, then put on finger to size. It also has dimples where the needle eye fits, making it easier to "rock" the needle. These can be found at JoAnns, as well as some quilt shops.

Homespun 07-16-2011 04:46 AM

The only thimble I can quilt with is a leather thimble.

damaquilts 07-16-2011 04:51 AM

I had to learn to use a thimble too. I liked the plastic ones years ago that you drop in hot water but they have changed. I had a metal, brass I think, thimble that I absolutely loved wore a hole slap through the top. Cannot find another that fits right. This one is one I got with a bunch of stuff off ebay . It says England 10 on it.It has a little rim around the top to keep the needle from slipping off. The leather ones I can only use for a short period of time before there are holes in them. I do have one that is a home made leather with some of the hair still on it. I cannot bring myself to even put it on my finger. ewww!! It also came in a lot I got years ago off ebay.

BellaBoo 07-16-2011 05:12 AM

I only buy the Clover silicone thimbles now. They stay on and are very comfortable. I wouldn't attempt to hand sew without a thimble. The back in of a needle hurts when it pricks. And now you can get the bad staph infection from any open wound no matter how small.

Kathy9052 07-16-2011 05:13 AM

I have 2 different sizes of thimbles. My fingers swell when it's hot and humid, so I use the larger one on those days. In the winter, my fingers are smaller, so I use the smaller thimble. All of my thimbles have been "ovalized" like others have mentioned - they fit much better.

grannypat7925 07-16-2011 05:15 AM

How about the leather thimble. That is the only one I have had any success with. Finger cots should be readily available at Office Max or Staples.

LinyWH 07-16-2011 05:18 AM

I use a thimble but use finger cots too. Thimble on middle finger on right hand - finger cot on the finger between thumb and middle finger. I cut a bit out of the top of the finger cot, push it down on the finger. I use it to help pull needle through when quilting. Can't do without them when hand quilting.