Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wallgreens-quilting-supplies-who-knew-thimble-yes-no-t137911.html)

ShirlinAZ 07-16-2011 07:04 AM

I learned to hand sew with a thimble, but my hands got too fat for the one from my teen years. I have bought lots of thimbles since but none of them work for me. I don't like the ones with the ridge around the top, leather wear out too quick, etc, etc. Someday maybe I'll find one like my old one and I can use a thimble again. In the meantime I'll keep using my fingernail.

phyllvog 07-16-2011 07:08 AM

Try using a finger cot under the thimble, will often solve the problem of it falling off.

Originally Posted by ibeesewin
Looked at Hobby & Jo-Ann's for the finger cots that Sharon Schamber uses in her binding video. No luck at either store. Jo-Ann's has them available on line...however, I don't need to order anything else. Called my LQS and they don't have them either. So...stopped at Wallgreen't and purchased the finger cots in the band-aid section. They work perfectly.

Also..is using a thimble kind of like an acquired taste? I have purchased 3 thimbles and end up removing them because I just can't sew with one. One that I purchased today falls off so what use is that? Any suggestion on thimbles...my finger is getting sore and I only have one side of the quilt stitched. I didn't want to machine stitch this one because I wanted to try the ladder stitch.

gbquilter 07-16-2011 07:09 AM

Try a leather thimble. I have gotten them at Ben Franklin but I'm sure they are availble eleswhere. they are more comfortable on the hand. I have longer nails so I don't like thimbles either. They are uncomfortable but these work better.

gbquilter 07-16-2011 07:09 AM

Try a leather thimble. I have gotten them at Ben Franklin but I'm sure they are availble eleswhere. they are more comfortable on the hand. I have longer nails so I don't like thimbles either. They are uncomfortable but these work better.

sewingmom3 07-16-2011 07:12 AM

I have several plastic ones I bought from JoAnn's and love them-,just one size-so finger can't be too big.

quiltymom 07-16-2011 07:15 AM

I can't use a thimble

bearisgray 07-16-2011 07:16 AM

finger cot - think finger only rubber gloves

loves_2_quilt 07-16-2011 07:20 AM

Using a thimble is a "learned" thing. I had to make myself use one MANY years ago because I was tired of getting poked. Now I can't sew with out one. It did take me a LONG time to get used to it.

butterflies5518 07-16-2011 07:31 AM

I just received my supply list for a handquilting class and they are asking for us to order one from Australia! It is a tube that fits over your finger joints (no tip) with dimples along one side, comes in rubber or sterling silver - intesting. It is suppose to releif the hand stress. About $17.23 before shipping.

www.thimblelady.com

GGinMcKinney 07-16-2011 07:37 AM

Whack it to an oval! Why didn't I think of that.
My favorite so far is a flesh colored plastic with an opening for the finger nail to extend. The plastic has an opening in the bottom band to help it fit a variety of
size fingers.
Now, I have to get out the hammer. Oh, DH will never understand this one. Guess I will take my hammer to quilting next week! Ha! That will surprise them, nah, nothing I do surprises them anymore.
Learn something everyday on QB. Love QB!!!