Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walmart-full-service-fabric-center-closure-petition-t63671.html)

MNM 09-10-2010 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
Here is a link for a petition asking Walmart to not proceed with closing their full service fabric centers: http://www.petitiononline.com/savefab/petition.html

While I would love to be able to shop exclusively at LQS'. However, between budget constraints and the fact that not all of my sewing needs are met by quilting shops, as well as the fact that I am more than 50 miles from any other type of fabric store, ie,. Hancocks, Beverly, Joanns, I don't want my Walmart Fabric Center to go away. So even if you don't like Walmart, don't like their fabrics, etc., please sign this petition so that those of us for whom it is the only local option will not lose out. Thank you!

Heidi Did you know that this weekend is the Quilts andThreads Show in Sonora? Sat and Sun at the Mother Lode Fairgrounds,
U don't see many Central Cal post on here.
All are invited. MNM

ragamuffin 09-10-2010 06:47 PM

I just signed the petition and over 47,000 have signed it.
We need more then that. Sign it for me. I usually buy my backings there because they have the 90" and 120" wide.

galvestonangel 09-10-2010 06:48 PM

I went into our local Wal Mart (no fabric) to buy a game of my DGD. They used to have a good toy dept. No more, they did not have a good selection of games like they used to have. We had to go to Target, which I prefer anyway to get the game. My husband was with me and he said that they had taken a lot of his stuff out. I had to laugh when I went by the party supplies. I thought to myself, now I used to come in her a lot of sewing supplies, fabric, etc, but I rarely come in there any more and I don't buy my party supplies there because they don't have enough options. Shame on them!

Annaleehunter 09-10-2010 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by quilter41
The decision has already been made and the fabric centers are gone

Then I am gone as well. I dread going there and only do so b/c of the fabric dept.

Annaleehunter 09-10-2010 07:41 PM

Sam Walton should roll over in his grave... sorry, but I am extremely upset over WM getting rid of something that brings in business. Call me old-fashioned, but you don't mess with things that work!

lucyb 09-10-2010 07:52 PM

The two Walmarts near me don't even have flat folds. The closest fab shop is 50 miles. There are two quilt shops but I don't want to spend that kind of money on doll clothes and kids quilts. You also can't make clothes and drapes etc. from these all cotton fabrics.

lucyb 09-10-2010 08:05 PM

I signed it a long time ago also. They still took out the fabric. It wouldn't let me sign again.

fuail 09-10-2010 08:15 PM

My local Walmarts: one took the fabric dept out entirely, the other reduced it to less than 1/3 of what it was before. I also saw that what fabric they do have is much more expensive than before the big remodel. Grr...

I'm with the rest of you - I can get the other stuff at Target, and only went to WMart to see what fabric they had.

Yankee in Texas 09-10-2010 08:38 PM

I used to buy fabric in WalMart - until they closed down the sewing departments in the 3 stores that were close enough for me to go there!!! And, I found some quality fabrics, and some of the same ones that were in JoAnn's(at a higher price than WM). I would go to the sewing section, get what I needed/wanted, then go through the grocery section for the rest of my shopping before going home. Now, I rarely go to WalMart for anything, due to the loss of the fabric departments. I grocery shop at a store closer to home now. And, the main fabric store is JoAnn's - 10 miles away. So, I now save money - because I don't buy fabric very often anymore.

madamekelly 09-10-2010 10:34 PM

Done