Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Here is a link for a petition asking Walmart to not proceed with closing their full service fabric centers: http://www.petitiononline.com/savefab/petition.html

While I would love to be able to shop exclusively at LQS'. However, between budget constraints and the fact that not all of my sewing needs are met by quilting shops, as well as the fact that I am more than 50 miles from any other type of fabric store, ie,. Hancocks, Beverly, Joanns, I don't want my Walmart Fabric Center to go away. So even if you don't like Walmart, don't like their fabrics, etc., please sign this petition so that those of us for whom it is the only local option will not lose out. Thank you!

This is an old petition . . . I think everybody here signed it, but it didn't do any good.

Sorry. I hadn't seen it on here before...must have been one of those times I was MIA.

I work at Wal-mart..customers are so upset with the new remodling that they are doing in various stores...sales are down. co. has decided to stop the remodeling on 28 store... I do not know how that affects the fabric dept. Corp. also deleted so many items that customer want so they are going to other stores. I do know that one store 20 miles from me petioned and got to keep their fabirc dept,(bolts)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sally's girl
    I work at Wal-mart..customers are so upset with the new remodling that they are doing in various stores...sales are down. co. has decided to stop the remodeling on 28 store... I do not know how that affects the fabric dept. Corp. also deleted so many items that customer want so they are going to other stores. I do know that one store 20 miles from me petioned and got to keep their fabirc dept,(bolts)
    If Walmart sells are down I think if I was Walmart I would look to see what is going on and how to reverse that trend. :shock:

Why go to Wal-Mart if they have fabric? I sure would not.

Blog Entries
    My friends and I do buy fabric at WalMart, and have found it to be fine for lots of "drag around" quilts for kids, varous gift quilts and even household utilitarian items. If you watch what you buy you can find some good deals on very decent fabric. I am not ashamed to say I buy fabric at WalMart...who's with me!!

I signed it and hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    My friends and I do buy fabric at WalMart, and have found it to be fine for lots of "drag around" quilts for kids, varous gift quilts and even household utilitarian items. If you watch what you buy you can find some good deals on very decent fabric. I am not ashamed to say I buy fabric at WalMart...who's with me!!
    Amen!

I buy fabric at Walmart. I seem to get the best fabric from the bargain counter or the $2/yd stuff. I have gotten some very nice pieces recently. They are great for aprons, kids quilts and tote bags.

Blog Entries
    I am not ashamed to tell someone I buy fabric from Walmart. I would buy more if the selection would just change!! We have bolts of fabric at our store but the same fabrics for the past several years. :cry: I did notice an end cap with $1.50 a yard fabric on bolts when I was in there over the weekend. I didn't a have the time to do more than look in passing. Hopefully it will still be there Friday.

Me!!!! I have made many many quilts with their fabric.

Our local Wal-Mart is almost done with their new remodel & I can tell you sales are down & many prices have gone up. I went to Wal-Mart today & the parking lot, that's normally full, was barely 1/3 full. I didn't even have to wait in line at the check out!! Many products/brands have been removed from their shelves, forcing people to shop at other stores for their fav brands. Despite petitions & phone calls to corporate the fabric dept in my local Wal-Mart is gone. They did put pre-cuts on the shelves. I think Wal-Mart has "bitten off their nose to spite their face". They assumed they could under sell Mom & Pop stores, put them out of business, & customers would shop at Wal-Mart & buy any brand they put on their shelves. Many areas, like mine, are very limited as to store options. We have Wal-Mart, K-Mart & Lowes. If we want much else we have to drive 25 plus miles.

I don't have any problem with their fabrics, have seen where they keep one open if no other supplier is in the area.
    Have seen the new setup, seems like it might work better if one of the sections were a changing variety of 2 yard cuts instead of a set section. Just my thought.

Have' em call, can share tips, :-D :-D ( yes I doubt that will happen) :-D

I get fabric at WM. As you said, you have to look around,but I have gotten some decent enough stuff, and within my price range. Not all of us can afford the "better" stuff all the time. For kids, it is suitable, for cuddly, everyday quilts. I would love to buy all the nice stuff all the time, but limited incomes doesn't allow it.

It's my understanding that Walmart hired a top person from Target to do all these changes. This person was trying to make Walmart more like Target and it failed miserably. So now they are slowing trying to revert back to how they were.

Maybe some of the people who work at Walmart could clarify this.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure Wal-Mart knows what it is doing anymore.

I know for one thing that Sam Walton did not opperate the way these "new age" corporate big wigs do. Sam would be very upset....

Blog Entries
    besides the fabrics going away, I have also noticed a lot of the foods that were on my diet (heart healthly / diabetic) are gone now too. I've had to start going to the regular grocery stores for my groceries and I moved my 10 rx's to Target after Walmart messed them up 4 months in a row. Fabric and dog food are the only reasons I go to walmart anymore, and now no fabric

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    It's my understanding that Walmart hired a top person from Target to do all these changes. This person was trying to make Walmart more like Target and it failed miserably. So now they are slowing trying to revert back to how they were.

Maybe some of the people who work at Walmart could clarify this.
    I was told the same thing by a friend at Walmart here.
    Our store used to be so nice... clean, well stocked, etc.
    Now it is just a crap shoot if you can find what you need. Seems like the produce area is the worst.....but the best is still our fabric dept. The ladies there have done a great job, and so far so good!

My neighbor who works at Walmart told me that our Walmart raised there prices on everything across the board including fabric and notions. Our store is always so busy I'd think that they should be making a good profit.

My neighbor who works at Walmart told me that our Walmart raised there prices on everything across the board including fabric and notions. Our store is always so busy I'd think that they should be making a good profit.

oppps.....I did the double thing sorry!

I used to hit all the WalMarts I could find every week in search of bargain fabrics of good quality for charity quilts and while there, I picked up other items to fill my cart. Now that the fabric departments are virtually gone, I hardly ever shop at any Wal Mart and have noticed emptier parking lots. If they brought back their fabric departments, it could draw me back into their stores for fabric as well as lots of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by sewgull
    Why go to Wal-Mart if they have fabric? I sure would not.
    Because sometimes it is the only thing you can afford to continue your craft, sometimes because you don't want to spend $8 a yard for fabric for your toddler to drag through mud puddles and for those of us in remote rural areas sometimes it is because it is the only place within 50+ miles to get notions, patterns, fabric or yarn....

I too bought fabric at WM ...;when they h ad it. Mostly for everything I made . (this was before I started wuilting) I NEVER had a problem with the fabic I bought there.

I sure hated it when they cut their 'craft' department out.
    It sent me to Hobby Lobby and JoAnns.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast