Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition >

Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition

Walmart Full Service Fabric Center Closure Petition

Old 09-11-2010, 06:02 AM

I wrote a letter to Walmart - didn't know about the petition - about 2 years ago when the were about to close the fabric dept. I got a crummy response saying they were sorry.
I agree that they had no idea how many people came in for fabric and sewing related stuff who also bought many other items because they were already in the store. I too almost never go there now whereas I used to shop there at least 3 times a month just to see what they had in new fabric.

They did have bolts of fabric that had been there for many years. You would have thought that if they had gotten rid of the unsellable stuff they could have replaced it with stuf that would sell.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by sally's girl
I work at Wal-mart..customers are so upset with the new remodling that they are doing in various stores...sales are down. co. has decided to stop the remodeling on 28 store... I do not know how that affects the fabric dept. Corp. also deleted so many items that customer want so they are going to other stores. I do know that one store 20 miles from me petioned and got to keep their fabirc dept,(bolts)
Almost everyone hates the remodel. Even employees. I may not be solely responsible but I had such a fit about the Hunts pudding cups being put IN THE BABY SECTION, that they at least moved it to the snack section in our store. They are one of the staples for my hubby's lunch box.@@ Wally World has quit carrying several items I use a lot. Going to a mom and pop store in our town more and more.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
Sam Walton should roll over in his grave... sorry, but I am extremely upset over WM getting rid of something that brings in business. Call me old-fashioned, but you don't mess with things that work!
Sam Walton was a great merchandiser, humanitarian, and I even hear he was a great father. The dimwits who are in charge now, should have paid more attention to the plan that made Walmart a household name! I now have to have several neighbors watch for the only dog food that my dog will eat! It is the house brand, but they only order a few bags per week at my local Walmart. Just another example of Walmart not paying attention to the CUSTOMER! I am now trying other dog foods, if I find one, and they drop or limit fabric, I won't be spending several hundred a month in their store anymore. STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! Can we say bankruptcy? :thumbdown:
Old 09-11-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
My friends and I do buy fabric at WalMart, and have found it to be fine for lots of "drag around" quilts for kids, varous gift quilts and even household utilitarian items. If you watch what you buy you can find some good deals on very decent fabric. I am not ashamed to say I buy fabric at WalMart...who's with me!!
I am with you! As one post above said, Wal-Mart is the only option for some people because other fabric stores are just too far away to go to on a regular basis.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lbatescpa
I wrote a letter to Walmart - didn't know about the petition - about 2 years ago when the were about to close the fabric dept. I got a crummy response saying they were sorry.
I agree that they had no idea how many people came in for fabric and sewing related stuff who also bought many other items because they were already in the store. I too almost never go there now whereas I used to shop there at least 3 times a month just to see what they had in new fabric.

They did have bolts of fabric that had been there for many years. You would have thought that if they had gotten rid of the unsellable stuff they could have replaced it with stuf that would sell.
I just posted a copy of the link for the petition onto my face book. Any other Facebook users are encouraged to do the same. The more who know, the more who will sign! I am linked, through my friends, to several thousand others, so are you. Quilter's unite!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by MNM
Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
Here is a link for a petition asking Walmart to not proceed with closing their full service fabric centers: http://www.petitiononline.com/savefab/petition.html

While I would love to be able to shop exclusively at LQS'. However, between budget constraints and the fact that not all of my sewing needs are met by quilting shops, as well as the fact that I am more than 50 miles from any other type of fabric store, ie,. Hancocks, Beverly, Joanns, I don't want my Walmart Fabric Center to go away. So even if you don't like Walmart, don't like their fabrics, etc., please sign this petition so that those of us for whom it is the only local option will not lose out. Thank you!
Heidi Did you know that this weekend is the Quilts andThreads Show in Sonora? Sat and Sun at the Mother Lode Fairgrounds,
U don't see many Central Cal post on here.
All are invited. MNM
Oh, no....I didn't know. I have even Googled "California Quilt Shows" and didn't see it. If we didn't have previous commitments I would be there. Is it held the same time every year?
Old 09-11-2010, 11:50 AM

I think that Walmart is starting to realize that they've blown it, especially by removing fabric from stores in rural communities. We here in Crawfordville, a rural community about 30 miles south of Tallahassee, just heard from our local Walmart that the fabric department is going to remain. They have even added a complete row of fabric, and are getting new bolts every day.
Their was a loud outcry here when it looked like the fabric department was leaving. Many of us called Walmart Corporate to complain. I also heard that in Perry, another rural community about 50 miles to the east of Tallahassee, they had lost their fabric department but resurrected it recently.
So bottom line: I recommend that you sign the petition, and become a squeaky wheel. You just might make a difference and find fabric next time you go shopping. Good luck!!
Old 09-11-2010, 12:50 PM

We have a very small selection in yard pkgs in Savannah Tn. And when I say small thats exactly what I mean. I just bought 2 pkgs to make a pair of cafe curtains for my sewing room. It's got all different types of birds on it and very pretty. it's not the same one they have been carrying on the bolts.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:02 PM

Thanks for alerting me to this petition. I've been upset ever since they started changing Walmart. Taking out the fabric department was the last straw. K-mart took their's out 40 years ago, I know because I worked in it when K-mart decided to "up scale their look" and forgot who put them where they were. It looks like Walmart, just like our country, doesn't learn from others mistakes. :cry:
Old 09-11-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Why go to Wal-Mart if they have fabric? I sure would not.
I don't purchase "good" material for my quilts at Wal-Mart. But I'm learning how to use my longarm machine, plus teaching my 10-year-old niece how to sew, so I do purchase fabric there. I also teach and have purchased fabric there for projects. It's not worth driving 50 miles away to the nearest LQS or JoAnn's for a quarter yard of fabric for school. Everyone in our town would miss it, even though the quality of fabric isn't as nice as LQS.