Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   walmart pre cuts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walmart-pre-cuts-t127020.html)

BellaBoo 06-01-2011 07:55 AM

The pre cuts there aren't the best but not the worst. I would use them in a quilt but not mixed with the best fabric unless it was scraps. I used the Walmart batik look jelly roll and it was very nice. The fabric didn't bleed and the colors were vivid. I buy a lot of the pre cut yardage there for totes and and other small projects.

MargeD 06-01-2011 08:41 AM

Just like anywhere else, you have to check the fabric before you buy it. I've been told by someone who used to be the manager of the local Wal-Mart fabric section and she told me they buy from the same manufacturers as other fabric stores. If I find a fabric that is very thin, I won't buy it - this has happened at JoAnn's as well, so I just feel the fabric to "road test" it so to speak. I spoke to a local Wal-Mart manager who said they were even cutting back on the precuts at their store, but that the super Wal-Mart still carried fabric. I'll have to check that out, but it's getting harder and harder to find places to buy fabric

Debd 06-01-2011 08:56 AM

I made a duvet cover out of a jelly roll and 10" squares. I did wash the fabric before I used it and ended up with 8 1/2" usuable squares. I had to go down to the smallest usable size, they all didn't shrink that much. The jelly roll strips didn't shrink as much, but they frayed to beat a band. I don't think I will buy their precuts again, but it was a good experience and my son enjoyed the cover!

misseva 06-01-2011 09:04 AM

My walmart still has a fabric department and is adding more. i've never been disappointed in their fabric. closest Hancocks is 50 miles away and they have higher prices.

hawk 06-01-2011 10:47 AM

Not to get into the Great Debate on quality (or should I say "quiltity") of WalMart precuts, my own personal WalMart has marked two colorways of the fat quarter precuts and package of 2 1 yard cuts down to $5.00 per package, from the $10.+ original. The yellow and blue-green ones. Worth checking out.

trrmite 06-01-2011 11:07 AM

Walmart or no Walmart your quilts are beautiful Love the color combinations.

doll-lady 06-01-2011 11:10 AM

the precuts i have found around my area have been just about all knit precuts and they were very thin. the other fabric was fine.

teacherbailey 06-01-2011 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by huntannette
wow ...prices in the States are a lot better than here...

Originally Posted by blossom808
I bought one pack of fat quarters. I just love it. All the colors were so nice together. I paid 8.99 for it. It has 8 colors in it.

Prices in the States are that low only at WalMart....their quality is OK but there is better at JoAnn's and Hancocks and of course, at the LQS!

delma_paulk 06-01-2011 11:44 AM

I've been using walmart fabrics for years and have done well with them; wish they still had it so you could get it cut in different lengths.

I did make sure to check the fabric as some of it was thin and did not look as if it would hold up.I got fabric at WM that Joann's and quilt shops had.

bakermom 06-01-2011 11:48 AM

The fabric quality depends on the manufacturer and the individual company, not the store where it's purchased.