Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   WalMart's Decison to Discontinue Carrying Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walmarts-decison-discontinue-carrying-fabric-t66159.html)

Bobby's Girl 09-23-2010 11:39 AM

I, and I'm sure many on this forum, appreciate the suggestions, such as the one about Target. One of these might end up being a solution to what is a real dilema for so many of us. It's difficult, or impossible, for people who live in areas where there are a variety of shopping choices, to understand how disappointing Wal-Mart's merchandising decisions can be to small town and rural residents. Even if Target, K-Mart, etc., did sell fabric, it wouldn't affect as many people as Wal-Mart's having fabric and quilting/sewing supplies. Those stores aren't as widespread as Wal-Mart stores, which are located within shopping distance of more Americans than any of the other chains. For example, I live in a rural area, but there are 7 Wal-Marts within an hour driving time, but only one Target, which is about 75 miles from my home. I order most of my fabric from online retailers, but many people my age don't use computers, so that option isn't open to them. Also, there are so many, who, like me, aren't physically able to drive or travel longer distances to shop.

mosquitosewgirl 09-23-2010 11:40 AM

@those of you who are or were Walmart employees...You are right that this is not the place to bash anyone or anything. I feel badly that the conversation can take on a controversial tone that would make you want to leave this great board. I love the employees at my Walmart and I comment to the positive on the website as well. In fact, even my comments that I posted earlier on this thread were intended (I believe, successfully) to be constructive, and honest. Maybe you could help the conversation be less controversial and more constructive if you know of ways to help us be proactive in lobbying the corporate offices.

Sadiemae 09-23-2010 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by mzsooz

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess

Sorry to get all preachy, but I don't like it when people make the company I work for to be an evil cooperation when they've given a lot away for charity.

Thank you for posting this. I am a former WM employee and frankly I'm getting sick of all the WM bashing that goes on this board. I'm on the brink of leaving the board over it. Why does everything posted on this board have to turn into a controversial topic? :(

I certainly understand your feelings. 3 or 4 months ago there was a topic about Hancock Fabrics and how horrible they were etc... It did hurt my feelings because I taught classes at our local store. I was a certified elementay teacher and I know how to teach! Finally I put "unwatch" because it was that bad.

I did not mean to bash WM. I just had to make a personal decision for me. For example the other day I purchased a gallon of Miracle Whip for $3. In addition to the price of gas to go to WM, I can't afford to go other places, when I can get this kind of a bargain.

moonwolf23 09-23-2010 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl
I, and I'm sure many on this forum, appreciate the suggestions, such as the one about Target. One of these might end up being a solution to what is a real dilema for so many of us. It's difficult, or impossible, for people who live in areas where there are a variety of shopping choices, to understand how disappointing Wal-Mart's merchandising decisions can be to small town and rural residents. Even if Target, K-Mart, etc., did sell fabric, it wouldn't affect as many people as Wal-Mart's having fabric and quilting/sewing supplies. Those stores aren't as widespread as Wal-Mart stores, which are located within shopping distance of more Americans than any of the other chains. For example, I live in a rural area, but there are 7 Wal-Marts within an hour driving time, but only one Target, which is about 75 miles from my home. I order most of my fabric from online retailers, but many people my age don't use computers, so that option isn't open to them. Also, there are so many, who, like me, aren't physically able to drive or travel longer distances to shop.

Connecting Threads sends out Catalogs, maybe another option would be to get ahold of a variety of Catalogs from some manufacturers and see if you can place a big order.

If you guys got together, and asked for samples so you could feel the fabric, they might even get behind this.

I'm thinking Avan, but for catalogue fabricl.

quiltin amma 09-23-2010 12:54 PM

I bet ole Sam is turning in his grave to see what his kids have done to his vision. It started out as a made in America store and now everything is made somewhere else than America. If only the Chinese could make good cheap fabric I'll bet that we'd still have it in our stores!!!

patricej 09-23-2010 01:47 PM

i agree with those who've noticed and noted that this topic has turned into yet another flame-fest against walmart.

i'm tempted to rant against this rancorous raving, but i won't.

i will merely point something out for the benefit of those who are so tired of it they're considering leaving the board:

we have thousands of members; hundreds who post actively every day. the few here who insist on jumping on every anti-walmart bandwagon that rolls down the road are just that ... the few.

shop where you want to shop. don't shop where you don't want to shop. please leave the rest of us out of it.