Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Want to be able to press on my dining room table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/want-able-press-my-dining-room-table-t265282.html)

Susan7639 05-17-2015 08:18 AM

Want to be able to press on my dining room table

This running to the laundry room every two minutes is killer! Does anyone have anything they love to use that is very protective of table top? Thanks!

DresiArnaz 05-17-2015 08:24 AM

Only thing I can think of is laying a towel down, placing a board on top of it and placing another towel on top of the board

I use an old portable dishwasher that sits in the middle of my kitchen(poor woman's kitchen island-haha!) I use it for storage, rolling pastry and general food prep and when I want to iron I fold a towel in half and lay it on top of the dishwasher. The loops in the towel fabric kind of keeps things from shifting. Works for me.

Krisb 05-17-2015 08:33 AM

You can get a tabletop ironing board. My mom called it a sleeve board. Put a towel under it so the legs don't touch the tabletop.

Onebyone 05-17-2015 09:05 AM

I use the large Steady Betty for portable ironing surface. It's great. Fabric does not move at all, no distortion or stretching of the blocks when pressing. Professional tailors have used these for years, just wasn't called Steady Betty.

Susan7639 05-17-2015 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7198264)
I use the large Steady Betty for portable ironing surface. It's great. Fabric does not move at all, no distortion or stretching of the blocks when pressing. Professional tailors have used these for years, just wasn't called Steady Betty.

Glad you mentioned Betty, Some good reviews on Amazon. Pricey though. Hmmmm.

LoriEl 05-17-2015 09:34 AM

I put layers of batting down and iron on that.

krafty14 05-17-2015 09:39 AM

Think about it!! My ironing board is 2 rooms away from my sewing machine. Us quilters need to get SOME exercise!!

DeneK 05-17-2015 10:15 AM

I have a dining room table (high top) that I use as an ironing surface. I had a 1/2" piece of styrofoam that came out of packaging from something I got. I put it on the table first. Then 1/4" plywood, covered by thin batting and used a sheet as ironing board cover. This seems to do it and I am not seeing any heat damage on the table.

Onebyone 05-17-2015 10:33 AM

I use the 60% off coupon from JoAnn's online. I have two of the larger ones. One I keep one on top of my ironing board and one I keep portable. It's reversible so it's like having four boards.

AliKat 05-17-2015 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by krafty14 (Post 7198293)
Think about it!! My ironing board is 2 rooms away from my sewing machine. Us quilters need to get SOME exercise!!

That is why my ironing board is in another room. I do chain sewing/piecing so I can have enough to iron all at once. The older I get the more I need to exercise.