Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Want to be able to press on my dining room table

Want to be able to press on my dining room table

This running to the laundry room every two minutes is killer! Does anyone have anything they love to use that is very protective of table top? Thanks!

Only thing I can think of is laying a towel down, placing a board on top of it and placing another towel on top of the board

I use an old portable dishwasher that sits in the middle of my kitchen(poor woman's kitchen island-haha!) I use it for storage, rolling pastry and general food prep and when I want to iron I fold a towel in half and lay it on top of the dishwasher. The loops in the towel fabric kind of keeps things from shifting. Works for me.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    You can get a tabletop ironing board. My mom called it a sleeve board. Put a towel under it so the legs don't touch the tabletop.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I use the large Steady Betty for portable ironing surface. It's great. Fabric does not move at all, no distortion or stretching of the blocks when pressing. Professional tailors have used these for years, just wasn't called Steady Betty.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I use the large Steady Betty for portable ironing surface. It's great. Fabric does not move at all, no distortion or stretching of the blocks when pressing. Professional tailors have used these for years, just wasn't called Steady Betty.
    Glad you mentioned Betty, Some good reviews on Amazon. Pricey though. Hmmmm.

Blog Entries
    I put layers of batting down and iron on that.

Think about it!! My ironing board is 2 rooms away from my sewing machine. Us quilters need to get SOME exercise!!

I have a dining room table (high top) that I use as an ironing surface. I had a 1/2" piece of styrofoam that came out of packaging from something I got. I put it on the table first. Then 1/4" plywood, covered by thin batting and used a sheet as ironing board cover. This seems to do it and I am not seeing any heat damage on the table.

I use the 60% off coupon from JoAnn's online. I have two of the larger ones. One I keep one on top of my ironing board and one I keep portable. It's reversible so it's like having four boards.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
    Think about it!! My ironing board is 2 rooms away from my sewing machine. Us quilters need to get SOME exercise!!
    That is why my ironing board is in another room. I do chain sewing/piecing so I can have enough to iron all at once. The older I get the more I need to exercise.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I would certainly check into using a Steady Betty.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    You can get a tabletop ironing board. My mom called it a sleeve board. Put a towel under it so the legs don't touch the tabletop.
    I had one of these and the surface was just too small. There are cutting/slash ironing units available at JoAnn's that you can use your 40 or 50% off coupon for that are a lot better. You just have to remember which side you are using at the time. I don't like the cutting side at all. The whole unit rocks when I try to cut, but I will keep it for the ironing part.

Bed, bath and beyond, have a neat roll up ironing surface. I have one of these at our fifth wheel camp and love it. The back is kind or rubbery so it sticks to the table it is a decent size for blocks. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...pad/1017670379

Amazon sells a lot of different varieties of ironing mats. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_293wploh8f_b
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Power Poster
    I have a sturdy desk with a drawer. I cut a piece of 1/2 plywood wide enough to go across the drawer. I covered it with cotton batt and made a fabric case for it. I sit it across the drawer where I am sewing so I can press by just turning my chair. When I don't need the board, I put it in the drawer and close it.

Igot a board that fabric came on, wrapped it with warm and natural batt, cover it with a pc of muslin and it works perfect for smaller pcs or blocks to iron on and fits well on any table.

I found a small desk and put. It on the other side of my sewing. Machine. Padded it for all of ironing.

My hubby took a 18x18" board (plywood or chip board), covered it with batting and then with fabric. We duct taped the batting and fabric on. I use it all the time. We made me a longer one.....28" long, but it's too clumsy for me to use. I had a big 3 foot by 3 foot one on my table and LOVED that. I donated it to my quilt group when we downsized and went on the road RVing full-time. I like the SOLID feel of it.....the blocks press nice and flat. Oh.....and CHEAP!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

I made an table side ironing surface using a TV tray. Lots of how to's on line. I love it....no worry about damaging the dining room table

I fold the heat resistant fabric used for making pot holders four layers, cover with a towel and iron away. It works great.

Blog Entries
    I just move my ironing board into my sewing room. Husband even likes to iron now because he can watch the tv.

Blog Entries
    I have a small folding ironing board I use for travel and meetings that has a pull-out shelf for holding my iron. I bought it years ago at JoAnn's with a coupon. Recently I purchased a smaller one that I needs extra padding and a new cover. It will take up less space in my sewing room and will go to retreats with me. I used a 50% coupon at JoAnn's a month or so ago to purchase this one for $14.99. I also recently picked up a ham which is very portable.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

dms
    Have you thought of using a wooden tv tray? Just cover it with insulbright and batting and staple all layers to back.

I bought a June Tailor pressing board 8 to 10 years ago from Joann's with a coupon and really like it. I'm not sure they carry them anymore, but here is one on amazon http://www.amazon.com/June-Tailor-Cu...pressing+board

It is still in great shape. It is only for pressing and there is no cutting board attached to the back side. The back is covered with a fabric that will not mar your table. I keep it on a t.v. type table in my sewing room for pressing while I am seated at my sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    I found a small table top ironing [email protected] walmart's(looks like a mini ironing board) when the college furniture section became popular. It has pop up legs that raises it about 3" off the table. the legs fold flat for storage.It may be in the regular laundry supply section now,with the other ironing boards.

I too have a mini ironing board and it has little rubber thingos so it doesn't scratch the table. I use this when piecing, but any major jobs get done on the normal ironing board (I just move it around the place to suit my needs). It lives in a cupboard at the end of every day as I try and keep the house relatively tidy.

Many of my friends have a tv tray table that they covered with batting and fabric that they place beside them and iron on while quilting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast