Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   wanted; traveling machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wanted%3B-traveling-machine-t308536.html)

Belfrybat 12-11-2019 10:13 AM

I like the Brother CS6000i for portability. It has everything you listed except the thread cutter and knee lift. I've had mine for 6 years and have never had a problem with it. I highly recommend it. If you are willing to pay around $350, the Eversewn Celine has a thread cutter. I'm considering it myself as it is a bit larger than the Brother, weighs around 15 lbs. and looks like a good sturdy machine.

sewingpup 12-11-2019 02:25 PM

I bought a "red machine" which I think is a Bernina 215. It is less than 15 pounds, has a needel up/down. 5.5 mm feeddogs which I like way better for piecing than the 9mm ones...Has 11 stitches with very adjustable width and length, I think 11 needle positions....it does not have a knee lift or the blanket stitch...I bought it to replace my old Janome Gem Gold and my Pfaff passport 2.0 (had more stitches, but very fickle about when it want to stitch or not). I was told this basic Bernina has a stronger motor than a lot of the lighter Janome's. So far I really like it....it will be used to go to classes with and maybe to do some smaller projects in front of the TV yikes....I do have a Bernina 570 which has the knee lift, thread cutter, and blanket stitch but way heavier though not as bad as the 700 serious of Berninas....I paid $600 for the Red Machine when it was on sale earlier this fall.

petthefabric 12-11-2019 02:39 PM

Thank you for the feedback. There's 2 models that might do what I want. And they have "local" delears.

intoquilting 12-11-2019 05:37 PM

I would stay away from the Phaff passport 2. I have posted on this site before about my problems with mine. The company doesn’t have parts for anything that isn’t under warranty. So my 5 year old machine can’t be fixed. What really makes me upset is the fact that they are still selling the passport 2 knowing there is problems with this machine.

Originally Posted by wesing (Post 8338809)
Don't forget Pfaff. Check out the Passport series. I know they are relatively feature-rich but I'm not sure exactly what they offer.

canmitch1971 12-11-2019 07:46 PM

I have a a janome gem platinum. She weighs 13 lbs and is the best machine ever.

ktbb 12-12-2019 06:03 AM

I also had a Gem for many years - only gave it up because my son wanted a small machine and I gave it to him rather than carry it home from my last trip. Got a new Janome light-weight and love it as well. these have all been electronic machines, however.

Maire 12-12-2019 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by canmitch1971 (Post 8339291)
I have a a janome gem platinum. She weighs 13 lbs and is the best machine ever.

I totally agree with that!

lynnie 12-12-2019 03:15 PM

maybe, some one higher up in a co. will see this, and take it upon them selves to make a machine like thais, that a lot of us will buy to use in class.

Tothill 12-12-2019 09:01 PM

What is your main machine?

I bought a Janome 2030 QDC as my travel/class machine. I love that the feet and bobbins are interchangeable with my Janome 11000.

It does not have a knee lift of adjustable foot pressure, but it does have a walking foot. It has a quilting/hopping foot, needle threader, manual thread cutter. I love it.

petthefabric 12-13-2019 08:50 PM

The machine I use the most is Brother 1500SL. It weighs about 50 lbs and large enough it's not easy to pack. Then a Bernina 770, same issues. I bought a Nicchi without doing my homework. I love the machine. It's not as heavy. The size is still large. I like the machine and use it now as my traveling machine. Since it cost a lot less than the Bernina, it can be dedicated to travel where its gets vibrated. It stays packed. It does have all the features I want, except it's computerized.

I think if brother made a smaller machine just like the 1500SL, that would be great.