Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Warm & Natural batting fuzz (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warm-natural-batting-fuzz-t293907.html)

Nanny's dollface 01-07-2018 01:41 PM

Warm & Natural batting fuzz

Those of you who have long arms or a HQ Simply Sixteen, is it normal to find batting fuzz in the bobbin area? When I went to replace my bobbin after using the machine for the first time, I was shocked to see the amount of fuzz that accumulated in the bobbin area.
Thanks

QuiltE 01-07-2018 01:54 PM

Yes, fuzz is normal.
Every time I change bobbins, I clean the bobbin case out well.

feline fanatic 01-07-2018 02:11 PM

It isn't the batting, if you used 100% cotton thread a lot of that fuzz is from the thread (top thread as well as bobbin) but your backing fabric can also contribute to it. I would say 95% of the fuzz is thread lint which is a big reason I don't use much cotton thread any more. I prefer poly as it doesn't create near as much lint. I have had a blob of lint get caught up in my bobbin tension spring and throw my tension off mid bobbin. Didn't realize it and spent a good amount of time taking the stitches out to redo. Thankfully frogging is easy when tension is bad. Pretty much swore off cotton thread then. I will use it if the color is right or a client insists. When I do use cotton, I try to make sure it is a super premium brand like King Tut, which throws lint too but not near as much. I also notice much more lint when I quilt a flannel back quilt. So I would say the fuzz you are seeing isn't from the batting but from the fabric and the thread. By the time your machine head travels over the quilt the batting is already encased between your top and backing fabric. As QuiltE said, it is best practice to clean out the bobbin area every bobbin change. Even when using poly threads which tend to produce very little lint.

quilts4charity 01-07-2018 02:15 PM

Yes, what Feline said....

quiltingshorttimer 01-07-2018 03:09 PM

Feline says it well. Only time I've had "linty" bat is when my guild purchased a roll of cruddy stuff to use in charity quilts--I refuse to quilt it anymore.

Nanny's dollface 01-07-2018 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7978770)
It isn't the batting, if you used 100% cotton thread a lot of that fuzz is from the thread (top thread as well as bobbin) but your backing fabric can also contribute to it. I would say 95% of the fuzz is thread lint which is a big reason I don't use much cotton thread any more. I prefer poly as it doesn't create near as much lint. I have had a blob of lint get caught up in my bobbin tension spring and throw my tension off mid bobbin. Didn't realize it and spent a good amount of time taking the stitches out to redo. Thankfully frogging is easy when tension is bad. Pretty much swore off cotton thread then. I will use it if the color is right or a client insists. When I do use cotton, I try to make sure it is a super premium brand like King Tut, which throws lint too but not near as much. I also notice much more lint when I quilt a flannel back quilt. So I would say the fuzz you are seeing isn't from the batting but from the fabric and the thread. By the time your machine head travels over the quilt the batting is already encased between your top and backing fabric. As QuiltE said, it is best practice to clean out the bobbin area every bobbin change. Even when using poly threads which tend to produce very little lint.

Thank- you so much for taking the time to explain. I am somewhat winging it and learning as I go. I would love to take a Saturday class since I work full time but the quilt shops around my area only offer during day time classes.
By the way, what is frogging?
Thanks again!

Maggie_Sue 01-07-2018 03:44 PM

Ripping, ripping, ripping threads.

Nanny's dollface 01-07-2018 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue (Post 7978832)
Ripping, ripping, ripping threads.

Lol...obviously, I am mostly left brain. I have done quit a bit of frogging then.

AVFD215 01-08-2018 06:18 AM

I use a good cotton thread and clean the bobbin area after each pass.
Mike

eastslopequilter 01-09-2018 06:33 AM

I did my last quilt with warm and natural and I had lint everywhere. I use cotton thread all the time and have never had this much lint on the top, and in the bobbin case. I always use Hobbs 80/20, but wanted to try warm and natural. I will never buy it again.