Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Warm & Natural batting fuzz

Warm & Natural batting fuzz

Those of you who have long arms or a HQ Simply Sixteen, is it normal to find batting fuzz in the bobbin area? When I went to replace my bobbin after using the machine for the first time, I was shocked to see the amount of fuzz that accumulated in the bobbin area.
    Thanks
    "I may not believe in what you say but will defend your right to say it"- Voltaire

Yes, fuzz is normal.
    Every time I change bobbins, I clean the bobbin case out well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

It isn't the batting, if you used 100% cotton thread a lot of that fuzz is from the thread (top thread as well as bobbin) but your backing fabric can also contribute to it. I would say 95% of the fuzz is thread lint which is a big reason I don't use much cotton thread any more. I prefer poly as it doesn't create near as much lint. I have had a blob of lint get caught up in my bobbin tension spring and throw my tension off mid bobbin. Didn't realize it and spent a good amount of time taking the stitches out to redo. Thankfully frogging is easy when tension is bad. Pretty much swore off cotton thread then. I will use it if the color is right or a client insists. When I do use cotton, I try to make sure it is a super premium brand like King Tut, which throws lint too but not near as much. I also notice much more lint when I quilt a flannel back quilt. So I would say the fuzz you are seeing isn't from the batting but from the fabric and the thread. By the time your machine head travels over the quilt the batting is already encased between your top and backing fabric. As QuiltE said, it is best practice to clean out the bobbin area every bobbin change. Even when using poly threads which tend to produce very little lint.

Yes, what Feline said....

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Feline says it well. Only time I've had "linty" bat is when my guild purchased a roll of cruddy stuff to use in charity quilts--I refuse to quilt it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    It isn't the batting, if you used 100% cotton thread a lot of that fuzz is from the thread (top thread as well as bobbin) but your backing fabric can also contribute to it. I would say 95% of the fuzz is thread lint which is a big reason I don't use much cotton thread any more. I prefer poly as it doesn't create near as much lint. I have had a blob of lint get caught up in my bobbin tension spring and throw my tension off mid bobbin. Didn't realize it and spent a good amount of time taking the stitches out to redo. Thankfully frogging is easy when tension is bad. Pretty much swore off cotton thread then. I will use it if the color is right or a client insists. When I do use cotton, I try to make sure it is a super premium brand like King Tut, which throws lint too but not near as much. I also notice much more lint when I quilt a flannel back quilt. So I would say the fuzz you are seeing isn't from the batting but from the fabric and the thread. By the time your machine head travels over the quilt the batting is already encased between your top and backing fabric. As QuiltE said, it is best practice to clean out the bobbin area every bobbin change. Even when using poly threads which tend to produce very little lint.

Thank- you so much for taking the time to explain. I am somewhat winging it and learning as I go. I would love to take a Saturday class since I work full time but the quilt shops around my area only offer during day time classes.
    By the way, what is frogging?
    Thanks again!
    "I may not believe in what you say but will defend your right to say it"- Voltaire

Ripping, ripping, ripping threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
    Ripping, ripping, ripping threads.
    Lol...obviously, I am mostly left brain. I have done quit a bit of frogging then.

I use a good cotton thread and clean the bobbin area after each pass.
    Mike

Blog Entries
    I did my last quilt with warm and natural and I had lint everywhere. I use cotton thread all the time and have never had this much lint on the top, and in the bobbin case. I always use Hobbs 80/20, but wanted to try warm and natural. I will never buy it again.

Feline Fanatic always gives good advice. I had this linty discussion when my teenaged son was upset with having to clean out the lint trap on the dryer after every load. Natural fibers give off lint because they are twisted into thread. The longer the fiber, the less the lint. If you don't want lint, don't use natural fibers. Personally I don't mind the lint. Living in Arizona, its better than the DUST! I put a tiny drop of machine oil on my paint brush when I de-lint. Makes the lint stick to the brush better and does not hurt my machine. Happy quilting!