Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Warm & Natural Batting By Yard Any Good? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warm-natural-batting-yard-any-good-t274883.html)

maminstl 01-23-2016 04:07 PM

I use it all the time - but, Hancocks by me also carries a bamboo batting that is very nice. If you're in the store, take a look. I buy both by the roll when the sale is just right.

Tom W 01-23-2016 04:35 PM

I use W&N or W&W all the time. I also use Hobbs if I want a bit more loft... but I like thin and crinkly

Marni 01-23-2016 05:45 PM

I like the W&N as well-and my LQS only sells it by the yard-no packages-so you can get exactly what you need-and no wrinkles to work out

Bree123 01-23-2016 09:15 PM

Absolutely wonderful for machine quilting. I used W&N in a lot of quilts until switching to a roll of Warm & Plush (50% fluffier & no cotton seeds or twigs in it, no scrim either). QD is usually a better choice for hand quilting; otherwise, go for it. The Wal-Mart Everyday Low Price or the JAF/Hancock's prices with coupons make it very affordable. The only time you notice the cotton seeds/twigs is if you used ultra-thin white fabric, or if the quilt is wet.

Jeanne S 01-24-2016 03:31 AM

I also buy it by the yard.

Snooze2978 01-24-2016 05:53 AM

I started out with W & N from JoAnne's. When I moved up to Iowa there was no JoAnne's nearby so went to a fabric store and asked them to order me a bolt of a batting similar to W&N if they couldn't order W&N. I got Quilter's Dream 70/30 and thought it was W&N till I looked at the label. I'm very happy with it. I ordered online Quilter's Dreram 100% white cotton to try out but will never use it again. Its thin and stretches. I'll use the leftovers for microwave bowls. It also doubled up on me while I was quilting and I didn't catch it till after I stitched over it. I'm hoping it will shrink out the fold but I doubt it.

Misty's Mom 01-24-2016 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7443222)
I find that I prefer buying batting off a roll since when it has been folded or squashed into the packaging, the wrinkles have to be removed by placing it in the dryer with wet towels or bed sheets. I prefer Hobbs 80/20 because it is lighter and has a little puff to display my quilting. I am still surprised when I bought some W&N on sale at JAF, it still has pieces of wood embedded in the batting. Not as bad as in the old days when this batting was introduced for sale.

I also prefer Hobbs 80/20. Interesting about the wood embedded. Never heard of that.

Jingle 01-24-2016 05:11 PM

My very favorite is high loft poly batting.
I bought a roll of w&w to make quilts to donate. Easy to just cut off what I needed.

love to sew 01-24-2016 07:16 PM

I but the whole roll as I am a long armer. Have no problem with and like the way the quilts look after washing and drying.

DOTTYMO 01-24-2016 11:51 PM

As so many use W&N I'm sure a baby quilt would be fine with it.