Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   to wash or not (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wash-not-t227978.html)

Maryanne 08-14-2013 05:51 PM

to wash or not

Hi all, I know this has been discussed before, about pre washing fabric or not. I have always pre washed fabric before starting my quilt. My problem now is I have purchased a collection that is entirely metallic fabrics (called a touch of luxe). Whats the general opinion out there for pre washing metallic fabric? Is there a method other than putting it the wash?

Thanx in advance

Mdegenhart 08-14-2013 06:05 PM

I just bought the Kanvas Frost which is heavily metallic & the lady at the shop told me to make sure I washed it. I do either gentle in the washer or hand wash in the sink. I just put in the dryer for a few minutes.

Lori S 08-14-2013 06:31 PM

I prewash my metalics. I just use the gentle cycle and a little bit of soap.

Mariposa 08-14-2013 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 6234833)
I prewash my metalics. I just use the gentle cycle and a little bit of soap.

***Ditto~~

LadyElisabeth 08-14-2013 06:33 PM

I prewash in the sink, by hand, and then put in dryer on cool

Scissor Queen 08-14-2013 07:40 PM

I quit prewashing years ago. I decided I wanted to quilt, not spend time doing laundry. I've even mixed prewashed and unwashed in the same the quilt.

Jackie Spencer 08-15-2013 02:21 AM

I have been quilting since the mid 70's, back then I always pre-washed. Have'nt done that in more than 20 years, and have never had a problem. I enter alot of my quilts in QS, and most of them prefer that the quilt is not washed.

ckcowl 08-15-2013 02:38 AM

I treat my fabrics exactly the way I believe the finished project will be treated- meaning- if I am making a wall hanging that will probably never be laundered I do not bother pre-washing (most of the time) if I am making a quilt or quilted item that will be laundered there is a very good chance I am pre-washing the fabrics involved- especially ones I am not sure about- better to pre-wash & see than to make a bed quilt- give it away- have the recipient launder it and find it ruined. when ever in doubt- pre-wash to be sure....whether it be hand dyes/batiks, metalics or other specialty fabrics, vintage fabrics- anything new I have not worked with before- I want to know how it is going to come out before all the work of putting it into a quilt

sewmary 08-15-2013 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6235120)
I treat my fabrics exactly the way I believe the finished project will be treated- meaning- if I am making a wall hanging that will probably never be laundered I do not bother pre-washing (most of the time) if I am making a quilt or quilted item that will be laundered there is a very good chance I am pre-washing the fabrics involved- especially ones I am not sure about- better to pre-wash & see than to make a bed quilt- give it away- have the recipient launder it and find it ruined. when ever in doubt- pre-wash to be sure....whether it be hand dyes/batiks, metalics or other specialty fabrics, vintage fabrics- anything new I have not worked with before- I want to know how it is going to come out before all the work of putting it into a quilt

I never prewash my fabrics

I always wash a finished quilt before giving it away. No surprises for user. Gets rid of hand oils/dust/hair etc. Is a final check to make sure it all stays together:). Nice and fresh smelling.

I too have limited time for quilting and I do not wish to spend it doing more laundry. Have never had an issue yet. I do check reds and have never found one that runs yet.

BellaBoo 08-15-2013 06:36 AM

I wash after the quilt is finished with Synthrapol added to the water. If the fabric is darks with lights I use Color Catchers too.