Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: to wash or not

to wash or not

Hi all, I know this has been discussed before, about pre washing fabric or not. I have always pre washed fabric before starting my quilt. My problem now is I have purchased a collection that is entirely metallic fabrics (called a touch of luxe). Whats the general opinion out there for pre washing metallic fabric? Is there a method other than putting it the wash?

Thanx in advance
    Maryanne

Another day another quilt block

I just bought the Kanvas Frost which is heavily metallic & the lady at the shop told me to make sure I washed it. I do either gentle in the washer or hand wash in the sink. I just put in the dryer for a few minutes.

I prewash my metalics. I just use the gentle cycle and a little bit of soap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I prewash my metalics. I just use the gentle cycle and a little bit of soap.

***Ditto~~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I prewash in the sink, by hand, and then put in dryer on cool
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I quit prewashing years ago. I decided I wanted to quilt, not spend time doing laundry. I've even mixed prewashed and unwashed in the same the quilt.

I have been quilting since the mid 70's, back then I always pre-washed. Have'nt done that in more than 20 years, and have never had a problem. I enter alot of my quilts in QS, and most of them prefer that the quilt is not washed.

Blog Entries
    I treat my fabrics exactly the way I believe the finished project will be treated- meaning- if I am making a wall hanging that will probably never be laundered I do not bother pre-washing (most of the time) if I am making a quilt or quilted item that will be laundered there is a very good chance I am pre-washing the fabrics involved- especially ones I am not sure about- better to pre-wash & see than to make a bed quilt- give it away- have the recipient launder it and find it ruined. when ever in doubt- pre-wash to be sure....whether it be hand dyes/batiks, metalics or other specialty fabrics, vintage fabrics- anything new I have not worked with before- I want to know how it is going to come out before all the work of putting it into a quilt
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    I treat my fabrics exactly the way I believe the finished project will be treated- meaning- if I am making a wall hanging that will probably never be laundered I do not bother pre-washing (most of the time) if I am making a quilt or quilted item that will be laundered there is a very good chance I am pre-washing the fabrics involved- especially ones I am not sure about- better to pre-wash & see than to make a bed quilt- give it away- have the recipient launder it and find it ruined. when ever in doubt- pre-wash to be sure....whether it be hand dyes/batiks, metalics or other specialty fabrics, vintage fabrics- anything new I have not worked with before- I want to know how it is going to come out before all the work of putting it into a quilt
    I never prewash my fabrics

I always wash a finished quilt before giving it away. No surprises for user. Gets rid of hand oils/dust/hair etc. Is a final check to make sure it all stays together. Nice and fresh smelling.

I too have limited time for quilting and I do not wish to spend it doing more laundry. Have never had an issue yet. I do check reds and have never found one that runs yet.

Blog Entries
    I wash after the quilt is finished with Synthrapol added to the water. If the fabric is darks with lights I use Color Catchers too.
    Got fabric?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Ditto and ditto!

Well it looks like a split decision! I just may take a chance and not pre wash this time. I really don't care to spend all my time ironing washed fabrics. Thank you all for your input.
    Maryanne

Another day another quilt block

I also don't prewash. Only for embroidery, and even then I find it a big hassle, can't see doing it for quilting
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    I never prewash my fabrics

I always wash a finished quilt before giving it away. No surprises for user. Gets rid of hand oils/dust/hair etc. Is a final check to make sure it all stays together. Nice and fresh smelling.

I too have limited time for quilting and I do not wish to spend it doing more laundry. Have never had an issue yet. I do check reds and have never found one that runs yet.
    This is me too! Use color catchers in the wash before they go out the door

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!