Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To wash or not to wash..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wash-not-wash-t54676.html)

wvdek 07-15-2010 07:28 PM

I alway's wash all items even the doll quilts because I live with cats and dogs in the house and people have allergies. Also, when I wash, I use detergent with no perfumes, no dyes, alway's use Clorox 2, and a softener with no perfumes, no dyes so there is no static when they take it out of the pkg. Besides, my body oils and such are on there and I do not want that to be a problem. I also wash all my crocheted afghans, prayer shawls, winter scarves, ets.

So yes, I wash everything before giving it to people except new clothes with the tags still on.

Vanuatu Jill 07-15-2010 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I do not prewash my fabrics before using them (exception is flannels)
I do wash all of my quilts before they go out the door. I usually throw in a couple of Shout Color Catchers.

Reminds me, I just finished 2 quilts, I should get them started in the washer!!

Will we get to see them??????

C.Cal Quilt Girl 07-15-2010 07:49 PM

Every one gets a bubble bath, and fab softner, downy april fresh, so they can recieve, fluffy, soft, krinkely. :)

butterflywing 07-15-2010 08:06 PM

i wash everything. i don't know what people are allergic to, and who knows what the quilt has been on or what's been on the quilt?

Juliebelle 07-16-2010 03:09 AM

I always wash just to be sure it will not fall apart ha ha :) :)

katier825 07-16-2010 03:18 AM

I usually prewash the fabric and wash the finished quilt - always with color catchers. I use elmers glue when assembling the binding (Sharon Schamber's method), so I want to wash that out when I'm done. I get to inspect it after it's washed before I give it away...just in case.

ckcowl 07-16-2010 03:35 AM

i ALWAYS wash my quilts before they go out the door. I want to make sure there are no seams that come undone, or any other issues. it is much better for me to catch anything ahead of time, if i gave the quilt, the recipient washed it and something came un=done they would panic and be horribly stressed and upset, even if it's a really small, easy fix problem, so i make sure they do not have to experience such stress. besides, i want to see how it's going to look when it's finished, and it's not finished till it's been washed the first time.

Karen's Kreations 07-16-2010 03:59 AM

I usually wash - especially the baby quilts. If something's going to go wrong I want it to happen to me first!

moonrise 07-16-2010 04:19 AM

I wash my new fabric as soon as I get it. That way I can store it with the rest of my stash and not have to worry about what's been washed and what hasn't. Reds get washed in hot water, and everything else gets washed in warm. Then I throw it all in the dryer on low heat. I only use a little bit of detergent, and no fabric softener. Afterwards, everything is carefully folded and is kept in a cat-free room, much to their disappointment. ;-)

Finished quilts get washed before they're given away, to fluff them up and make them extra-cuddly. (And to make sure everything holds up properly! LOL! So far, so good.)

ksea 07-16-2010 04:24 AM

Can I ask why you stopped prewashing your fabric, I thought that was a golden rule. I have washed every yard of fabric that I have brought into my home for the last 5 years, and then spend hours and hours and hours ironing it.