Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing Fabric before use. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-fabric-before-use-t48314.html)

bearisgray 06-05-2010 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
I always pre wash,totally dry, fold and put into my fabric cabinet. I iron when I get ready to use.

Only think I add to that, is that I serge or zigzag the raw edges before washing the fabrics.

Boston1954 06-05-2010 07:57 AM

I have never pre-washed. Something in me does not feel the need to clean material that is not dirty.

gollytwo 06-05-2010 08:24 AM

[quote=erstan947]I don't prewash anything. Been successful.

same with me
I rarely wash anything unless I'm using alot of a solid (red and blue, particularly) and there's white cloth in the quilt.

b.zang 06-05-2010 08:31 AM

In sewing class, back in the olden days, we learned to pre-wash all fabric. I still do that, although I tend to mostly get it wet with hand-warm water, wring thoroughly, then let the dryer do the shrinking. I once threw a bunch of fat quarters through the wash and they shrank so much I couldn't make the pattern I had bought the kit for. I wouldn't pre-wash any pre-cut fabric again.

If you participate in most swaps, the fabric used in them is to be pre-washed.

BarbieQ 06-06-2010 03:09 AM

I've always washed fabric before quilting, because that's what i was taught, but this new one I'm working on isn't washed so i'll see what i get when it's all done.i'll wash it in cold water and hang to dry. With the natural wonder batting it might just come out the way i want.

Holice 06-06-2010 04:01 AM

its always better to be safe then sorry. Again it depends on the ultimate use of the quilt. If wallhanging and never washed then I don't.
However, I bought 7 coordinating pieces at the local big box store. They had a good coordinated group and the quilt is going to someone I know only casually. I used the pattern used as learning a new technique.....so with this said.
I washed it all and glad i did because there was considerable difference in the quality within the 7 pieces, a couple shrank badely while others didnt. And since there was a lot of bias edges Iam sure I did wash.

So ultimate use and then better to be safe than sorry about the results. If i don't wash then i at least spray and steam press or wet the piece and iron dry.

Honey 06-06-2010 04:19 AM

It really depends. If I buy from my lqs, I don't because I have never had anything that I have purchased from her shrink or bleed. When I buy from other places, I am more leary. But I always prewash flannels as some of them will shrink a lot.

Peggy 06-06-2010 04:29 AM

I soak every fabric before using or storing it - to shrink it and remove any excess dye. Better to be safe than sorry! It only takes a short time to do this procedure and a long, long time to repair a ruined quilt. Worse still to have to discard it because the dye ran - which it does with a surprising number of fabrics regardless of price per yard.

LBryan13790 06-06-2010 04:36 AM

If you are going to use the fabric to applique, the fusible web will not stick to unwashed fabric (sizing or something). I learned this the hard way after cutting out a zillion Christmas pillow gifts and the appliques all kept falling off as I was sewing!

klgreene 06-06-2010 07:44 AM

Just read your reply, I've been quilting for years and never washed anything, until it was all done. Never had a problem, but am more scared with the bolder colors I am using. You mentioned a color catcher. What exactly is that? I've never heard of it before.