Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-fabric-t60903.html)

Colbaltjars62 08-23-2010 06:35 AM

If you do wash possible bleeder fabrics add 1 cup of white vinegar to the cold water wash and let it agitate for a moment or two then let it soak for about 20 minutes. The vinegar helps the dyes to set. You may have to do this more than once as some fabrics have a huge amount of dyes in it. Also dry the fabric in the dryer as the heat will also help "set" the dyes.Hope this helps.

Colbaltjars62 08-23-2010 06:41 AM

Also make sure if the fabric DOES bleed to run a dummy load in your washer after washing. This way if DH washes a load of whites after your done, they will not end up pink or some other such color.

JudyG 08-23-2010 06:54 AM

Before I joined this board, I almost never washed my fabric before I made a project. But now that I do lots of swaps and things here (and it's required that fabric be washed before you send something to someone), I do wash everything when it comes into the house so when I want to make something I am ready to go and don't have to mess around washing just a couple pieces of fabric for a project. It's nice to have it washed, starched and pressed when I'm ready to start something.

pocoellie 08-23-2010 09:46 AM

JudyG-You wash ALL the fabric, and starch and iron it. Wow, you're way too organized for me. LOL

JudyG 08-23-2010 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
JudyG-You wash ALL the fabric, and starch and iron it. Wow, you're way too organized for me. LOL

Unfortunately, I'm not very organized at all (as you could tell if I was brave enough to show a picture of my sewing room, but if I don't wash it when I comes in, it's hard to tell what's been washed and what hasn't been and as much as I hate to iron, it's easier to get it all done at once when I buy a bunch of fabric, which I do all too often. :lol: :lol:

mizmarymac 08-23-2010 10:23 AM

While i don't enjoy ironing yards of fabric I wash, iron and have it ready for use. It's a practice that has stuck with me from home economics classes and I won't mention how many years.

Linda B 08-23-2010 12:21 PM

I wash all my fabric and always have. I just use a dab of Woolite in the kitchen sink, fill with like colored fabrics, swish around a little bit, then rinse, rinse, rinse, until there is no more color in the water. Then I hand squeeze out excess water, lay on thick beach towels, roll up, and press as hard as I can to sock up more water into the towels. I've found this procedures gets out excess dye without generating too many thready strings to cut off. Then it is off to do the ironing. The biggest problem is waiting until the pile of fabric is so huge it then takes daaaayyyyysss to iron it all!!!!!!

purplefiend 08-23-2010 12:39 PM

I wash all my fabrics. I've got allergies to perfumes and chemicals that the fabrics reek of when I bring them home.
I also don't have worry that a fabric will bleed or shrink in my finished quilt.
I zig zag the raw edges before washing, so no ragged edges.
Sharon

Daisygirl 08-23-2010 12:41 PM

I wash them all my material when I get it home, I am afraid of the colors running or shrinking.

quilterken 08-23-2010 01:24 PM

I don't prewash most times. I just find that when inspiration hits, I don't always have time for laundry......