Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-fabric-t60903.html)

Colbaltjars62 08-23-2010 01:39 PM

But if you don't prewash, what happens when you're finished and someone washes it and it bleeds?

sewingladydi 08-23-2010 01:44 PM

I always pre wash all fabric with a color catcher. Then I fold and put away. I iron (and starch) when I'm ready to cut.

I give most of my quilts away (friends, relatives, charity, QFK)so I never know how it will be cared for. By prewashing everything, there won't be any big surprises the first time the quilt is washed.

littlehud 08-23-2010 06:57 PM

I don't wash mine unless it's for a swap or RR

Christal 08-24-2010 01:14 AM

I don't wash my fabric first anymore. I love the way the quilt looks after it is quilted and then washed. The shrinkage gives it an antique look, my double wedding ring and my fan quilt came out beautiful washing after quilted and I used 1930's fabrics.

QuiltswithConvicts 08-24-2010 04:03 AM

If you are looking for that antique look in your finished quilt, using cotton batting will give it, even though you have pre-washed your fabrics. The cotton batting will shrink up and cause the fabrics to get all puckery. I used to smoke and I washed every quilt when it was finished to get that smell out of them. I gave away lovely, puckery quilts!

brushandthimble 08-24-2010 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by SueDor
All the time.

Me too!
It is my habit to prewash all my fabric, had a few bad experiences when I started quilting (years ago and before I knew the differences in fabric).

My ironing board is full of fabric waiting to be ironed:(

quiltmom04 08-24-2010 04:54 AM

I mostly was, but sometimes don't. If you are concerned about bleeding, throw in a Shout Color Catcher. Those things are AMAZING! I've never had a problem with bleeding when I use them. Also, I don't iron them when they are finished washing unless I plan to use them right away. IfI iron them, and put them away, I have to iron them again before I use them. Just smooth and fold, and you'll save yourself a lot of work.

TX GMimi 08-25-2010 03:20 AM

I wash every piece of fabric when I get it. Have you all tried the "color grabber" sheets yet? They are in the laundry section of the grocery stores and are WONDERFUL! Quite helpful in that you don't have to worry about sorting the fabrics! The colors go to the "grabber" and it comes out all yucky color-wise. Now they are an essential part of the laundry.

damaquilts 08-25-2010 03:35 AM

[quote=sewingladydi]I always pre wash all fabric with a color catcher. Then I fold and put away. I iron (and starch) when I'm ready to cut.

I do this too. Fabric comes in the house and goes directly in the washer. I want no shrinkage or color runs on anything I have spent that much time doing. Besides the chemicals make me sneeze

jolo 08-25-2010 04:08 AM

I have never in the 30 or so years of quilting prewashed my fabrics, have never had any problems when washing my quilts.Do now use the color catchers.