Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-fabric-t64973.html)

thebossbab 09-15-2010 10:08 PM

Hello Everyone, I just did a search about washing fabrics and got many answers. But I'm still not sure what to do. I'm making coasters and hot pads to sell at a craft fair this November and I have 100-150 of 1 yard of fabric (mostly all 100% cotton from Joann's & Hancock Fabrics--nothing very expensive). Thinking of washing much less ironing all of that is quite daunting. So do I wash or not? I'm not knowledgable enough to know what is best. I don't want to think that I sold an end product to someone only to shrink and be unusable after one washing :oops: So any and all advice/comments are very much appreciated to this newbee.
Thanks, Becky

virtualbernie 09-15-2010 10:47 PM

You'll probably find that half of us will tell you that it's alright not to wash and the other half that say the opposite. I never wash unless I'm using flannel because it shrinks so much. I do however, test swatches to make sure it doesn't bleed. The trick is wash everything or wash nothing. If you don't wash, you'll get a little shrinkage and get that old fashioned look once the quilt is washed.

thebossbab 09-15-2010 11:12 PM

Thanks Bernie.....not washing will save me on time since I'm busy with work etc. just like most.
Becky

grann of 6 09-16-2010 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by thebossbab
Hello Everyone, I just did a search about washing fabrics and got many answers. But I'm still not sure what to do. I'm making coasters and hot pads to sell at a craft fair this November and I have 100-150 of 1 yard of fabric (mostly all 100% cotton from Joann's & Hancock Fabrics--nothing very expensive). Thinking of washing much less ironing all of that is quite daunting. So do I wash or not? I'm not knowledgable enough to know what is best. I don't want to think that I sold an end product to someone only to shrink and be unusable after one washing :oops: So any and all advice/comments are very much appreciated to this newbee.
Thanks, Becky

For coasters and hot pads, I wouldn't worry about washing. On such a small object shrinkage will be minimal anyway. I always consider what I am going to do with the fabric before washing it. For quilts and kids stuff I do wash it. The QFK fabric I don't because they have to be washed before sending back anyway. I like the crinkled look. Flannel I always wash first regardless of what I am doing with it.

janRN 09-16-2010 04:54 AM

I don't prewash-just check for bleeding.

Just a hint: use Scotchgard on your coastes and table runners--they won't stain.

erstan947 09-16-2010 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by janRN

Just a hint: use Scotchgard on your coastes and table runners--they won't stain.

Thanks for this tip!

DebbyT 09-16-2010 06:02 AM

You could make a few samples. Wash a couple and compare.

Jim's Gem 09-16-2010 04:32 PM

Thanks, Becky

My thoughts too!!!

MommaDorian 09-16-2010 04:35 PM

Thanks, Becky

I'd be interested in the coasters and hot pads you're going to make. Can you share a picture when you get some done? :)

thebossbab 09-16-2010 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by janRN

Thanks JanRN....that's a good idea and one I'll use.
Becky