Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Washing Fabric

Hello Everyone, I just did a search about washing fabrics and got many answers. But I'm still not sure what to do. I'm making coasters and hot pads to sell at a craft fair this November and I have 100-150 of 1 yard of fabric (mostly all 100% cotton from Joann's & Hancock Fabrics--nothing very expensive). Thinking of washing much less ironing all of that is quite daunting. So do I wash or not? I'm not knowledgable enough to know what is best. I don't want to think that I sold an end product to someone only to shrink and be unusable after one washing :oops: So any and all advice/comments are very much appreciated to this newbee.
    Thanks, Becky

Blog Entries
    You'll probably find that half of us will tell you that it's alright not to wash and the other half that say the opposite. I never wash unless I'm using flannel because it shrinks so much. I do however, test swatches to make sure it doesn't bleed. The trick is wash everything or wash nothing. If you don't wash, you'll get a little shrinkage and get that old fashioned look once the quilt is washed.

Thanks Bernie.....not washing will save me on time since I'm busy with work etc. just like most.
    Becky

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thebossbab
    Hello Everyone, I just did a search about washing fabrics and got many answers. But I'm still not sure what to do. I'm making coasters and hot pads to sell at a craft fair this November and I have 100-150 of 1 yard of fabric (mostly all 100% cotton from Joann's & Hancock Fabrics--nothing very expensive). Thinking of washing much less ironing all of that is quite daunting. So do I wash or not? I'm not knowledgable enough to know what is best. I don't want to think that I sold an end product to someone only to shrink and be unusable after one washing :oops: So any and all advice/comments are very much appreciated to this newbee.
    Thanks, Becky
    For coasters and hot pads, I wouldn't worry about washing. On such a small object shrinkage will be minimal anyway. I always consider what I am going to do with the fabric before washing it. For quilts and kids stuff I do wash it. The QFK fabric I don't because they have to be washed before sending back anyway. I like the crinkled look. Flannel I always wash first regardless of what I am doing with it.

I don't prewash-just check for bleeding.

Just a hint: use Scotchgard on your coastes and table runners--they won't stain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN

Just a hint: use Scotchgard on your coastes and table runners--they won't stain.
    Thanks for this tip!

You could make a few samples. Wash a couple and compare.

Thanks, Becky

My thoughts too!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Becky
    I'd be interested in the coasters and hot pads you're going to make. Can you share a picture when you get some done? :)

Quote Originally Posted by janRN

Thanks JanRN....that's a good idea and one I'll use.
    Becky

MommaDorian.....I have a pattern http://www.busybeequilters.com/QuiltedCoasters.html for the coasters and also watched a video on youtube for the hot pads http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8
    I understood how to make the coasters after I watched the video on the hot pads. They look very quick and easy to do. As I do more sewing again I will venture into making my first real quilt. I can't wait to start :-)
    Becky

thanks grann of 6...I think you just sealed the deal for me on no washing :thumbup:
    Becky