Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing quilt first time (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-quilt-first-time-t195199.html)

ankegram 07-20-2012 06:57 AM

Washing quilt first time

I really need some advice! I've just finished a beautiful baby quilt made from "Wee Folks" charm squares from Moda. The fabric is very bright and colorful. The border is pure white, and the binding is a bright red. I'm scared to wash it that the colors will run!! What should I do? I was thinking of a cold water wash and using a bunch of those Shout Color Catchers. Maybe washing with this process a few times. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

jj1150 07-20-2012 07:07 AM

I just washed a queen sized rag quilt in all bright colors (many, many bright colors) ... and used about 3 color catchers and washed in cold water .... no bleeding at all. Those things are great :)

jody

Deborahlees 07-20-2012 07:09 AM

If I am using any red fabric in a quilt, that is the only color I always prewash.....

Tartan 07-20-2012 07:32 AM

If you have any scraps of the red, get them wet and sit them on a white paper towel to dry. If there is no colour bleed on the paper towel when the scraps are dry, then I would cautiously proceed. When I am washing a questionable quilt, I fill the top load washer full of cool water and hand agitate the quilt with colour catchers. I then spin it to remove the water and bring it out to inspect it. If all is well, I pop it into the dryer and let it go to almost dry. I then spread a clean sheet on the spare bedroom floor and let it dry flat until completely dry.

jcrow 07-20-2012 07:33 AM

Shout Color Catchers always work for me. Never had a problem yet. And I've had some bright colors!

ankegram 07-20-2012 07:54 AM

JJ, did you have any white in your quilt? I'm really concerned about the white!

jj1150 07-20-2012 08:11 AM

Yes, the complete back of my queen quilt was a Kona in an off white (like the color of muslin ~ only the Kona is much nicer). NO color bleed at all ... and I had ALL kinds of fabrics, even several batiks. Did NOT pre-wash anything.

Until I started reading this forum, I had never even heard of color catchers .... great things!!!

jody

rrhaigh 07-20-2012 08:44 AM

Ditto, I have used the Color Catchers and have never had any problems. I just did a quilt with red borders and white sashing and nothing bled at all. I even washed it in warm water twice with color catchers to make sure all the excess dyes were "collected" by the color catchers before I gave the quilt away. I don't assume the receiver will use cold water or color catchers, so I try and make sure the colors are set before I give it away.

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5379913)
Shout Color Catchers always work for me. Never had a problem yet. And I've had some bright colors!

ankegram 07-20-2012 10:12 AM

You all are awesome! Thank you for all the comments on the color catchers! I feel much better about washing it now! (Although, I will be praying like crazy until it's washed and dried! LOL). :thumbup:

HMK 07-20-2012 10:19 AM

Can you buy Colour Catchers in Canada - I haven't been able to find them.