Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Washing quilt first time

Washing quilt first time

I really need some advice! I've just finished a beautiful baby quilt made from "Wee Folks" charm squares from Moda. The fabric is very bright and colorful. The border is pure white, and the binding is a bright red. I'm scared to wash it that the colors will run!! What should I do? I was thinking of a cold water wash and using a bunch of those Shout Color Catchers. Maybe washing with this process a few times. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

I just washed a queen sized rag quilt in all bright colors (many, many bright colors) ... and used about 3 color catchers and washed in cold water .... no bleeding at all. Those things are great

jody

If I am using any red fabric in a quilt, that is the only color I always prewash.....

Power Poster
    If you have any scraps of the red, get them wet and sit them on a white paper towel to dry. If there is no colour bleed on the paper towel when the scraps are dry, then I would cautiously proceed. When I am washing a questionable quilt, I fill the top load washer full of cool water and hand agitate the quilt with colour catchers. I then spin it to remove the water and bring it out to inspect it. If all is well, I pop it into the dryer and let it go to almost dry. I then spread a clean sheet on the spare bedroom floor and let it dry flat until completely dry.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Shout Color Catchers always work for me. Never had a problem yet. And I've had some bright colors!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

JJ, did you have any white in your quilt? I'm really concerned about the white!

Yes, the complete back of my queen quilt was a Kona in an off white (like the color of muslin ~ only the Kona is much nicer). NO color bleed at all ... and I had ALL kinds of fabrics, even several batiks. Did NOT pre-wash anything.

Until I started reading this forum, I had never even heard of color catchers .... great things!!!

jody

Blog Entries
    Ditto, I have used the Color Catchers and have never had any problems. I just did a quilt with red borders and white sashing and nothing bled at all. I even washed it in warm water twice with color catchers to make sure all the excess dyes were "collected" by the color catchers before I gave the quilt away. I don't assume the receiver will use cold water or color catchers, so I try and make sure the colors are set before I give it away.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    Shout Color Catchers always work for me. Never had a problem yet. And I've had some bright colors!
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

You all are awesome! Thank you for all the comments on the color catchers! I feel much better about washing it now! (Although, I will be praying like crazy until it's washed and dried! LOL).

HMK
    Can you buy Colour Catchers in Canada - I haven't been able to find them.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    If you are using a front loading washer, remember to put your color catchers in a lingerie bag rather than than just lose in the washer to prevent losing them in drains and clogging filters.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Right on Jan!!! Great suggestion - do it all the time in my HE machine - color catchers are wonderful!!!!
    Busy in Ohio

I've never tried the color catchers either.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I just bought 4 pieces of fabric today and one was bright red. I put all of them in the washer with 1 Color Catcher (my last one) and the CC came out red and the other 3 fabrics look just fine, no red. I was very pleased. I often debate whether to wash the reds all by themselves but I took a chance this time.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas