Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing Quilts in a front loading machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-quilts-front-loading-machine-t55591.html)

QBeth 07-22-2010 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by sidmona
They have a Woolite HE now at least Walmart by me carries it.

Thanks, I'll look for it! I've missed not being able to use it.

sidmona 07-22-2010 11:03 AM

My frontloader has a soak cycle.

weezie 07-22-2010 02:07 PM

My front loader cleans much better than the top loader (that it replaced) did. It takes twice as long, but that's not a problem for me. It's essential to be stingy with laundry detergent in any washing machine, (ask a repairman) but especially in a front loader.

PiecesinMn 07-22-2010 07:27 PM

Thanks to all for all the tips, I feel better about using my new machine to wash quilts. Wasn't too worried about the family's clothes, just quilts.

anniec55 07-22-2010 07:52 PM

Color catchers are the best thing since peanut butter! No kidding they are one of my most favorite "tools" no wash should ever be done without one!

Kas 07-22-2010 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I just have a question?
If a front load can not effectivly get a quilt clean without using a huge ammount of water to soak in then how is it going to get clothing that is actually soiled (ya know really kid kinda grime dirty) clean?

Doesn't make sense to me either. I rinse my clothes twice, anyway to avoid any chemical residue from detergent. I use the blue water-soluble markers to mark all my quilts and it has to be really rinsed out before using detergent or the marks may reappear. Don't want that. I told DH that if he gets the front loader he wants, he has to put the old top loader in the garage for my quilts. Sort of like using the old fridge to store beer!

quiltinghere 07-23-2010 03:31 AM

Love my front loader - would NEVER have a top loader even if it was given to me free!

No experience washing quilts - just blankets and comforters.

sewitseams 07-23-2010 06:18 AM

i have a front load washer and have no problem with washing fabric first or the finished quilts. i use gentle cycle and spin with gentle soap and always a color catcher.

peaceandjoy 07-23-2010 06:29 AM

My front loaders (washer & dryer) are over 8 years old and I LOVE them. Have friends who come here w/their comforters, sleeping bags, etc. that don't fit into a top loader.

My washer (Whirlpool Duet) has a soak cycle, so no problems there. Either way, I think it has to be gentler than a top loader w/ an agitator.

Deborah12687 07-23-2010 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by sidmona
I have a front loader and use the delicate cycle and medium speed spin. I use just a touch of Tide Total Care and don't use fabric softener (read somewhere that you shouldn't use fabric softener on quilts b/c it weakens the fabrics).

If that would be true about softner weakening the fabric my twenty year old quit should be in threads and all my clothes by now. Quilts are no different then clothing when washing and using softners.