Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wax paper for quilt templates/stencils?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wax-paper-quilt-templates-stencils-t216131.html)

murphzmom 03-11-2013 01:31 PM

Wax paper for quilt templates/stencils??

I have been searching through different articles and videos on marking stencils for my final quilting. I ran across a video that showed using wax paper as you can iron it directly on to the quilt, stitch and then tear away. My question is if I have a design and I need to repeat it several times can I cut the wax paper to 8-1/2 x 11 then run it through my inkjet printer? Other than tracing several times over is there an easier way to do this to get multiple copies produced.

Thanks!!

Mindy

Holice 03-11-2013 01:47 PM

my thought is that the wax in the paper might effect the printer. I know of using freezer paper which is heavier. I would not trust it not to get wax into the printer. However, it might work. However ink jet would not heat the paper. weight of the paper might also be an issue.

Tartan 03-11-2013 02:23 PM

I don't think ironing wax paper to your quilt would be a good idea. Wouldn't it leave a residue on the fabric? I have ironed freezer paper to fabric and it doesn't leave a residue. You might want to use several sheets of tissue paper or newsprint paper and mark the quilting pattern on the first sheet. Stack up several sheets and staple the corners together. Set your stitch length on your machine to a big stitch, remove the thread from the needle and stitch the quilting outline through all the sheets. Remove the staples from the corner and you have several copies of the quilting design. Pin the paper to the blocks and follow the perforated holes and carefully tear away the paper when finished.

Pollytink 03-11-2013 02:33 PM

I got a tablet of tracing paper, tore the sheets out and trimmed them to 8.5 size (length doesn't matter, just width to fit in the feeder tray), made a copy of the pattern I wanted and printed it onto the tracing paper. Trimmed the design to fit, pinned it to the quilt and quilted over it, then tore off paper. Worked pretty well!

Scissor Queen 03-11-2013 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by murphzmom (Post 5921664)
I have been searching through different articles and videos on marking stencils for my final quilting. I ran across a video that showed using wax paper as you can iron it directly on to the quilt, stitch and then tear away. My question is if I have a design and I need to repeat it several times can I cut the wax paper to 8-1/2 x 11 then run it through my inkjet printer? Other than tracing several times over is there an easier way to do this to get multiple copies produced.

Thanks!!

Mindy

Wax paper and freezer paper are two different things and are not interchangeable.

ckcowl 03-11-2013 03:06 PM

there is a HUGE difference between Wax paper & FREEZER PAPER....freezer paper has a plastic coating on one side- is white paper on the other side- you can see through it is easy to trace patterns onto the paper side- then you press the plastic side to your fabric--it does not leave a sticky residue- holds well- is reusable multiple times when used for applique patterns- or templates you are cutting around- runs through your printer nicely.
WAX paper is the stuff we used to press leaves between sheets of when we were kids in grade school- it is WAXY---will leave a wax coating on fabric (and possibly stain it- it is not what you want to use ...Freezer paper comes in a large blue box in the grocery paper/plastic isle....near the wax paper- but they are two totally different products that you don't want to mix up.

PaperPrincess 03-11-2013 04:07 PM

Are you sure it was waxed paper, not freezer paper? I cannot believe someone would suggest ironing waxed paper on to a quilt. You can put freezer paper thru an inkjet, but not a laser printer as the heat from the laser will melt the freezer paper on to the drum.

murphzmom 03-11-2013 06:27 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I did mean freezer paper and not wax paper. I was thinking one thing but actually typed out the other. So, in regards to freezer paper, do you think that could be cut down to go through my printer as long as the design would print out on the white paper side.

omaluvs2quilt 03-11-2013 09:59 PM

I got tired of picking out paper, so I'm on to the iron off pounce...like it much better! I've used the freezer paper also, but the golden threads paper or tracing paper tear off much better in my opinion.

kat13 03-12-2013 04:25 AM

They sell freezer paper sheets that are for use with a printer too. I first use plexi glass, large sheet of it and put it on my quilt and use a dry marker to get ideas on what I want to do. Then I use regular tracing paper, if your stitches are small it pulls off very good and any tiny pieces that are left come out in the wash.