Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are we Hoarders or is it something else? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/we-hoarders-something-else-t236914.html)

Joset 12-18-2013 05:20 AM

i like to think of my stash as collecting ha ha

DebraK 12-18-2013 05:20 AM

good for you!

DebraK 12-18-2013 05:22 AM

That's a different condition ;-)

Emma S 12-18-2013 06:19 AM

Part of the fun of having a stash is to horrify my kids. They want me to live forever so they won't ever have to figure out what to do with it. My son and I went out to breakfast not long ago. In spite of my objections, he insisted on paying. I gave him that "mother" look and told him "I hoped you realize I am just going to be standing on a street corner buying more fabric with this money". His response, "Oh no, I'm a enabler!"

bearisgray 12-18-2013 06:35 AM

Sewing supplies - I love calling it " inventory" - right now I don ' t even want to think of the replacement value of what I have.

Jingle 12-18-2013 06:52 AM

I am not a fabric hoarder. I like lots of choices when starting a quilt and I keep it neat. Hoarders's house on TV are not neat. I am even trying to use up my scraps, all in neat bins. I have given away lots of quilts and have lots more to find homes for. I am temporarily storing them until I find someone that needs a quilt.

GrmaHayes 12-18-2013 07:10 AM

Hoarding, never!! After making all my nieces and nephews graduation quilts, it's now time to make for other people. I have never sold a quilt, they have all been gifts. When gifting you have to buy fabric on sale, and sometimes that means overbuying to feed the habit. I've also purchased other people's stashes, and while I give some away, I find lots of great stuff. After an illness that left me unable to work, I find quilting fills my days and makes me a very happy person. I resolved to work down my stash and was doing pretty good at that to make my hubby happy because I have so much. Then guess what happened next, HE starts picking out fabric that he thinks would look great in quilts, and of course, I have to have coordinating fabric. My stash is growing again fast, although I've made 10 quilts since summer. LOVE this hobby!!!

reginalovesfabric 12-18-2013 07:21 AM

I like to call my situation "oh, there are not going to make anymore so I better get all I can NOW" and I tell people, some people spend their money playing golf, planting flower in the yard, smoking or gambling, I buy fabric......I rest my case!

mighty 12-18-2013 07:21 AM

I wish mine would grow again seems to be getting smaller and smaller.

mustangquilts 12-18-2013 07:25 AM

I think of myself as a designer not a hoarder. Since I live 160 miles one way from a fabric shop I have to have lots on hand when I want to design something. At first it was over bearing but now when I get an idea I can walk into my rooms and my ideas fall together with what I have on hand. So far I have never had to put off an idea because I needed some other fabric from the store. In fact I will sometimes pull out a piece of fabric and the designs start flow from that fabric.