Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wedding guest book non-book ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wedding-guest-book-non-book-ideas-t75968.html)

maryb119 11-12-2010 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by bizybess
If you hand out squares for people to write on mark a seam allowance because people WILL write all the way to the edge and then you will lose part of their words when sewing together. Ironing squares onto freezer paper is a great idea. Maybe a 4" freezer paper square centered on a 5" fabric square leaving a half inch seam allowance. That way you have schooch room.

I was just going to say..don't forget about the seam allowances.

Ripped on Scotch 11-12-2010 02:30 PM

I got married last year just celebrated our 1 yr last weekend actually. I wanted to do I quilt to but everyone in my family convinced me that it would take to long while waiting in line. So insteadmy MOH sent out a 6 1/2 inch square with all of the shower invites& asked e eryone to put some thing on the square. They brought them the day of the shower & we collected them all & her mom actually put it into a lap quilt for us. We love it! For the wedding itself we got an engravable frame & Had everyone sign it. So we have what I wanted & what he wanted

Dani 11-12-2010 03:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
At my step mother's 90th birthday party, I brought the backing of a watercolor heart quilt wall hanging I made for her to the party and had everyone sign it (some wrote some nice things too). I backed it with freezer paper so the fabric had some stability. I supplied different color fabric pens. Pictures were taken of some people signing. After the party I sandwiched the quilt, quilted it, put binding and label on and gave it to her. She loved it and put it on the wall over their bed.

The "brown smudges" are shawdow.s
[ATTACH=CONFIG]124985[/ATTACH]

CoriAmD 11-12-2010 03:22 PM

"Dungeonquilter" your quilt is beautiful! I am going to be making one for our 50 yr class reunion and although it is not until 2014, I am already looking for ideas. This is great, thanks for sharing it and inspiring others

KarenR 11-12-2010 03:30 PM

Have you thought about doing like the tumbling blocks and taking a picture of the church/scene where your getiing married and make that into a large panel and then cut it up and on the frame around each piece have them sign them. You can see the idea in the tumbling blocks picture area. Maybe it is window frame.
But I love the blue one up above - Great idea.

mrs. fitz 11-12-2010 05:32 PM

Whatever you decide, a strong suggestion that you and your new husband sign it also. I made a 50th anniversary quilt for my parents and never thought to ask them to write something for each other. Long after my dad passed away my mother said she wished they'd thought to sign it. You will have many happy healthy years and way down the road you'll enjoy reading what you wrote to each other.

And....mazel tov!

mim 11-12-2010 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Getting married in 11 months - yay! but My initial non-quilt idea was the picture like my mom did. But it didn't feel like me, I guess. Whereas something with fabric, that's a very me thing to do.
I figured I'd ask the experts for suggestions. Thanks! :)

My cousin had a tablecloth that guests signed and she then embriodered the sig. I have had quilters sign a piece of batil fabric as I travelled. When I got home it became the center piece for a wall hanging using fabrics collected on the trip.

You might have everyone sign a large piece that would then become a table runner that is used for special occasions

mommamac 11-12-2010 06:12 PM

I had 2 daughters get married this past summer & both wanted a quilt guest book.

One chose a piece of fabric for guests to sign - I put freezer paper on the back and arranged it like a tablecloth on gift table with fabric markers - this will be the back of her wall hanging. We plan to create a 'memories' front using photo transfers, ribbon, tulle, pieces from gown & attendants dresses, etc. (may be done by her 5th anniv. LOL)

The other one asked for a signature duvet. I premade 6" rail fence blocks & again ironed on freezer paper to stabilize while writing. 1/4" lines were drawn as a reminder to stay in the lines. These were put in a basket with markers for guests to sign. Blocks were given to relatives who couldn't attend the wedding. These will be sewn together to create the duvet cover top.

On both occasions someone was designated to mingle & remind guests to sign.

Quilt Mama 11-12-2010 06:18 PM

I wouldn't think of signing, coloring, painting, any fabric without the freezer paper backing. The threads can't move if secured to the freezer/waxed paper. The marking of the outside sewing line is also a must. I use this method for making my quilt labels.

sueisallaboutquilts 11-12-2010 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
Whatever you decide, a strong suggestion that you and your new husband sign it also. I made a 50th anniversary quilt for my parents and never thought to ask them to write something for each other. Long after my dad passed away my mother said she wished they'd thought to sign it. You will have many happy healthy years and way down the road you'll enjoy reading what you wrote to each other.

And....mazel tov!

Oh yes!! Darn, I made my parents an album quilt that all their children and grands signed with name, dob, sentiments, etc and never thought to make blocks for them :(
My Dad is gone now and my Mom would have loved it.
Lucy- good luck with everything !! Your sister comment was so funny :D