Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wedding guest book non-book ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wedding-guest-book-non-book-ideas-t75968.html)

jackkip 11-12-2010 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by bizybess
If you hand out squares for people to write on mark a seam allowance because people WILL write all the way to the edge and then you will lose part of their words when sewing together. Ironing squares onto freezer paper is a great idea. Maybe a 4" freezer paper square centered on a 5" fabric square leaving a half inch seam allowance. That way you have schooch room.

I did a quilt for my DD wedding shower. I had cut the squares out and told everyone to leave 1/2 inch for a seam allowance. I even had a sample on the table. Do you think people could follow directions....NOT!!!! I had quite a few squares that were cut off. Not much I could do about it when they wrote all the way to the edge.

Another idea for a "guest Book" thing. Not quilt related but very cute. My other DD just got married last weekend. They had a photo booth for the reception. It was a company that comes and sets up a small curtained area with a camera, computer, printer setup. Well you go and hit the button and the camera takes 4 photos. You come outside and the attendant (of the photo booth) has your pictures. 2 sets of pictures are printed. One for you to take and one that the attendant places in a scrap book. Pens were available to sign the book and write well wishes. It was a huge hit. You could go and take as many as you liked. It was fun to see everyone get together and do silly poses. Now my DD has this book forever.

Good luck with the wedding and try not to stress too much

:wink:

thenonnielady 11-13-2010 04:03 AM

beautiful!

jcrilley 11-13-2010 04:23 AM

Even better than taping to cardboard: Iron each square on to freezer paper. Much easier and stablizes the fabric while it is being written on. It works, we did a king size quilt at church this way!

Jean Judson 11-13-2010 04:55 AM

When my daughter was married, I had a small throw size quilt already made and the wedding guests signed the blocks at the reception. We used an archival pen and it worked fine. Besides, it was done when the wedding was over and I didn't have worry about finishing it. It worked well for us.

steelecg 11-13-2010 05:43 AM

This is a great idea and beautiful

Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
Attached is a picture of a Wedding signature quilt that I made for my niece. I had the blocks all made, and used large squares of the yellow for practice for everyone. Some drew pictures, some wrote poems. I put the large squares on the back of the quilt. She sometimes hangs it with the back showing. LOL
They had a meet and greet in the church basement right after the ceremony, and that is when I had everyone (Kids included) sign the squares. I put freezer paper on the back of the fabric.

chrisqlt 11-13-2010 05:48 AM

I like the idea of taking the seam allowance around something like freezer paper or cardboard...because even though I had seam allowance marked many people wrote into that area. It's probably safer if they just can't do that! I also had people sign on the wrong side of beige tone on tone fabrics even though I had someone at the table to help folks with questions etc. Yikes!

Another sentimental idea...I made my DDIL's wedding dress and at the last minute wrote their names and wedding date on the hem of the dress lining with blue pigma pen much like you might write inside a wedding ring. She loved it! I got the idea from that being done on Christening dresses handed down in families & worn by multiple babies. (Baby name & Birthdate embroidered on)

Every happiness for you and your groom!!!

QuiltingrandmafromMi 11-13-2010 06:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cut material in signature card size, attach these to slightly larger freezer paper. Have quilting pens in the colors of your wedding or whatever, you Have 2 people man a station. one for having guests signing in, the other could take pictures. then later you could put the pictures on whatever size squares you decide, and the signatures could be placed under the pictures in the form of separator strips

PamQuilts 11-13-2010 07:16 AM

My DD is getting married in February. I was thinking of doing this also. I would love to see more pictures of some that have been done! :)

quiltmom04 11-13-2010 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cherylynne
My daughter is getting married in June and I would like to follow this thread for suggestions, too. I think that you are definitely on to a great idea. When I look back at my wedding photos I realize that many of the people that were there have since died and it would have been nice to have another memory from them. Little kids have grown up, but those immature signatures are priceless.

For my friend's daughter's wedding, I sent 6" squares out before the wedding, backed with a piece of freezer paper, typed instructions, and a stamped return envelope. I got most of the back and had the top done for the shower. I had designed the quilt firs with the appropriate number of white squares, and since I didn't get them all back, I added their wedding picture and put the "label" in one of the squares instead of the back. A design note - I made the squares to be set on point and very clearly told everyone how to hold the fabric to write, but some people just couldn't believe you'd write on the diagonal, and wrote with the squares flat. Now their squares are on the diagonal! :) Most people were VERY creative - they only had to write something to the couple - but I got back a square with glitter, a drawn cartoon and if you look about the center of the quilt, it's hard to tell, but it's Joe Paterno!

nanac 11-13-2010 08:43 AM

Many years ago, a dear friend was retiring. I provided the squares, with thee border marked, and let everyone choose what they wanted to put on the square. I put it together, and quilted it, and gave it to her at her retirement party. She was floored! Long story short, she cherieshed that quilt until she died, then her daughter inheirited it, and has it to this day.
If you want to do something like that for your wedding, you may just start a trend. In five years, will you remember who gave you the glasses, or the towels, or the sheets? Probably not, but I'll bet you will be able to look back and remember the person who signed your quilt, which will provide you with untold memories. And if you get enough signatures or individual quilt blocks for 2 quilts, go for it girl.
nanac