Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   went to first guild meeting, felt like an intruder - what would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/went-first-guild-meeting-felt-like-intruder-what-would-you-do-t50457.html)

Teresa 54 06-22-2010 11:05 AM

I agree with wilter all I need is right here!

Lucille A 06-22-2010 11:13 AM

I have participated in 2 guilds in my life. I have never felt like an intruder in any of them. But then, I may be one of the few. I don't know where you live, but if you can find another Guild close by you might try them

When I moved back to my old home town, there was not a Guild. I ran an ad in the little free paper, and advertised for some quilting buddies, and started my own little group. We eventually started our own little Guild with a day meeting.

Most quilters are lovely people. Keep trying. So far as quilts go--any quilt is beautiful--even this nightmare I created at a class.

mirish 06-22-2010 11:45 AM

I had the same experience. So I tried joining in more - helping at the quilt show and even the program chair. Needless to say, I don't belong any longer.

Lucille A 06-22-2010 12:18 PM

I really hate to here about these bad experiences. Just keep trying.

quiltilicious 06-22-2010 12:22 PM

I'm a member of 4 guilds (one doesn't meet very often or nearby, so I haven't gone to a meeting - just paid dues - it's a statewide guild that's in trouble but put on a great show 2 years ago). I have not had an issue with any of them - but I don't know that all my acquaintances can say that.

I am a rather outgoing person, so I'll just chat people up when I feel the need to. Don't be put off by one group that may not be welcoming - keep looking for a group that will be friendly and accomodating. I'm sure there's one near you.

janerjul 06-22-2010 01:01 PM

I agree with trying it twice then stay or leave by what your gut tells you. I joined a group last December that has met at our local HS every Wednesday for 10+ years. The oldest member is 81 and I was the younster at 50ish; all welcomed me and since 3 other youngsters have joined. Search for a group that you feel confortable as your time is too valuable to spend with those that make you feel less than good.

Lucille A 06-22-2010 01:09 PM

Amen

sew4fun 06-22-2010 01:09 PM

Give it another try. I belong to a large guild(220+) and a smaller quilting group(25ish). In the larger group we have made a point this yr to take new members that come before the meeting/program starts around and introduce them to different people in hopes that someone will take them under their wing. When I first joined I knew two members but did not know them well. So I helped with our quilt show raffle quilt and got to know a lot of the quilters that way. Sometimes you have to make an effort to get to know them. And yes I agree there are cliques. I have 3 really good friends in the two groups and we do a lot of things together but also try to include others as well.

QuiltQtrs 06-22-2010 01:40 PM

Please post photos of your dolls .... some of us are probably interested in making a purchase!

fancifrock 06-22-2010 01:45 PM

I know exactly how you feel. The quilt store I go to has a Block of the Month program that I decided to join so that I could get back into quilting after retiring. I also thought it would be a good opportunity to meet people who were interested in quilting. No such luck. I have been going every month since January and still no one speaks or bothers. Their show and tell items are just beautiful and I would never think of bringing mine to show. I do all my quilting by hand and they are seem to have all these fancy quilting machines etc and boy I wouldn't even try to measure up to their work. I must say I do learn something new every month but that is it