Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Went to grand opening of Hoppy Lobby (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/went-grand-opening-hoppy-lobby-t65149.html)

mar32428 09-16-2010 07:27 PM

Since I'll be losing the fabric in my local WM this February, I was anxious to see what HL would have to offer. They will not be any nearer to me but at least they have fabric.

The store is a cross between a JoAnn's and an Old Time Pottery. They do have some of the loveliest artificial flowers of anyone in the area.

Their fabric dept. is larger than the WM ever was but I was disappointed with the prices. Or I should say price. Broadcloth was $1.99 and everything else was $7.99. They had a few islands with %50 off but the choices left much to be desired. I thot the fabric was a very good grade but it seemed to be very blah in variety of color or patterns.

I thot the notions and accessories (batting, stabilizers,etc) was
very limited.

Guess I'll stick with the internet. My problem is I love to feel the fabric.

tooMuchFabric 09-16-2010 07:36 PM

Get on the website for HL and get their email newsletter. They send coupons like Jo-Ann's and Michael's do.

paintstoregirl 09-16-2010 08:13 PM

There is usually a coupon in the Sunday paper for 40% off and they regularly run fabric for 30% off.

mar32428 09-17-2010 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by paintstoregirl
There is usually a coupon in the Sunday paper for 40% off and they regularly run fabric for 30% off.

Thanks TMF and PSG for the heads up. Since they're new to us, I will have to check their web. Got the Sunday paper and went right by their ad. Expected it to be a color insert but it was a full page black and while in the regular section. Met an ASG friend in the store and thanks to her extra coupon, did get to use the 40% off.

I did see some craft items you can't get anywhere else in town like a full line of the glass bricks in all sizes.

moonrise 09-17-2010 02:49 AM

Tip: Print a couple of copies of the coupon off their website, and take a friend to the store with you. They allow one coupon per person, so have your friend check out separately, and that way you can use more than one coupon! ;)

Hubby and I do that quite often. :mrgreen:

mar32428 09-17-2010 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise
Tip: Print a couple of copies of the coupon off their website, and take a friend to the store with you. They allow one coupon per person, so have your friend check out separately, and that way you can use more than one coupon! ;)

Hubby and I do that quite often. :mrgreen:

We do that at JAs all the time.

CarrieAnne 09-17-2010 04:19 AM

The fabric selection MAY get better! Ours is pretty good, and they change the newer fabrics once in a while. I have found some really pretty stuff their. They dont hve a HUGE selection though, but most of the stuff is really nice quality!

QuiltswithConvicts 09-17-2010 04:30 AM

Our HL has many of the same fabrics as WalMart, only more $$$. Fabric selection is smaller than WM. Packaged batting is almost non-existent. Our WM hasn't indicated that we'll loose the fabric section.

I use their coupons to get the pricey tools, rulers, etc. Will also use one to buy a bolt of Warm & Natural, or 10 or more yards of WonderUnder & so on.

Even if you get your newspaper, you can get a couppon off the website. Print out as often as you need to and visit every day. ☺

moonrise 09-17-2010 04:43 AM

Ours has a great selection of fabric, but a lot of it is $12.99 a yard (regular price). Unless you have a coupon or they've got a sale going, it's pricey! :shock: Even the remnant bin is high.

Their fabric is very nice, though, and they do have a good assortment of notions, batting, etc.

There are two smaller Hobby Lobbies nearby, but their selection isn't as good.

We're supposed to get a Joann's sometime soon. I've never shopped there before, except one time online. A little competition is good! ;)

jrhboxers 09-17-2010 05:01 AM

Their fabrics are really nice - have a wonderful hand and feel wonderful. I am getting ready to start a new project with a couple of pieces from them. Their fabric usually feels more like cotton sateen thatn just basic cottons. And they have been running all cottons 30% for several months. And their ads are ALWAYS a full page in the regular section of the paper. Their philoposhy is get the word out but don't waste the money for flashy. They are definitely not a flashy place. BTW I don't know if you noticed but they are closed on Sundays. Can be a PITA sometimes, but I always felt blessed to have them. Don't have them now and really miss them. When I go back home to visit, I ALWAYS set aside $300-$400 for my fabric splurge.