Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-am-i-doing-wrong-cutting-long-strips-they-bow-t103057.html)

spinnergs 02-25-2011 04:34 PM

I always make sure that I line up the ruler with the folded edge of fabric so I dont get the bow.

davidwent 02-25-2011 04:38 PM

AWESOME Tips !!!
Thank you all so much!
I'm so happy the fabric was only a remnant from Joann's LOL
David

ewecansew 02-25-2011 04:41 PM

I'm like 'spinnergs' Line up the ruler markings with the fold of the fabric.

gaigai 02-25-2011 04:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Also, make sure that a line of your ruler is lined up with the fold of the fabric at the bottom. If the line isn't exactly on the fold, the cut will bow. The wider the cut, the more room for error/distortion, which is why with wide cuts you may need to square up your fabric more often.

Line up fold with line of ruler
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121703[/ATTACH]

Correctly lined up--line on fold
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121704[/ATTACH]

Incorrectly lined up--Line not on fold
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121705[/ATTACH]

sueisallaboutquilts 02-25-2011 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
David,
I never have been able to cut a straight strip. I have bought every gadget, strip mats, etc., and finally resigned myself to buying the Go! NOW I cut straight strips.

Good luck.
MJ

Mary Jane, love your new pic!!!!!!!!! What a sweet baby too :D

retrogirl02 02-25-2011 04:45 PM

David, it's a common problem in strips. You do not have to starch to cut properly. Press your fabric thoroughly before folding in half (selvage to selvage). Heartwarming described the cutting technique I use also. I begin by evening out the top of my fabric, use my fold line as the "straight" and continue to check and even every 2 strips. With the constant pressure of my forearm on the long ruler, I no longer get the dip in the center. I hope this helps....but if I can answer any other questions, please let me know. =)

PiecesinMn 02-25-2011 04:48 PM

I do this as well. If you are using fabric that is not quilt shop quality, (lower thread count) you could have more distortion cutting, sewing and ironing. Starching it would go along way to help you. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Heartwarming quilts
I never starch but do square the fabric 1st and then every 2 or3 (?) if I get off. As long as I apply pressure on the ruler the whole way up you should be good to go.

retrogirl02 02-25-2011 04:50 PM

Good Point, Pieces...I use quilt shop only and forget that this is an issue for quilters. Thank you.

dsb38327 02-25-2011 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

Originally Posted by purplemem
David,
I never have been able to cut a straight strip. I have bought every gadget, strip mats, etc., and finally resigned myself to buying the Go! NOW I cut straight strips.

Good luck.
MJ

Mary Jane, love your new pic!!!!!!!!! What a sweet baby too :D

Ditto. :thumbup:

raedar63 02-25-2011 05:00 PM

I tear mine the old fashioned way and have never had a problem.