Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-am-i-doing-wrong-cutting-long-strips-they-bow-t103057.html)

davidwent 02-25-2011 04:18 PM

Luckily I cut them 2 3/4 for 2 1/2 strips so I can clean them up. It is folded fabric that I am cutting the long strips from
TIA
David

purplemem 02-25-2011 04:22 PM

David,
I never have been able to cut a straight strip. I have bought every gadget, strip mats, etc., and finally resigned myself to buying the Go! NOW I cut straight strips.

Good luck.
MJ

seamstome 02-25-2011 04:23 PM

There is a youtube on how to cut. It was posted here once and was very good. I find that I starch the fabric, line it up, hold the ruler tight to the mat and keep the blade of the cutter perpendicular to the ruler. Trim a little off along the length of the ruler just in case you dont have the fabric square.

Also you may want to turn the whole project 90 degrees to get a better working angle.

davidwent 02-25-2011 04:23 PM

Thanks MJ, I will definitely take that in consideration!
David
ps. cute pup!!!

davidwent 02-25-2011 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome
There is a youtube on how to cut. It was posted here once and was very good. I find that I starch the fabric, line it up, hold the ruler tight to the mat and keep the blade of the cutter perpendicular to the ruler. Also you may want to turn the whole project 90 degrees to get a better working angle.

I didn't starch...stupid,stupid,stupid
David

greenini 02-25-2011 04:26 PM

David,

Me, too. Are you squaring off the end first? And open each strip after you cut it and square it off again if it's crooked. You might need to do it as often as every 3 or 4 strips. I have found I need to put some pressure on the ruler and you will probably need to use sandpaper dots, InVisiGrip or some type of thing to keep the ruler from skidding around. It's also supposed to help if you walk your hand up the ruler as you cut (stop cutting when you walk your hand). My quilt instructor suggested cutting fabric doubled once and held up selvedge to selvedge and then moved back and forth so the fold lies even. Then is when you lay it on your mat and then square it off. Use your longest ruler and a small square next to it to even it up, then move the small ruler out of the way. I hope you can visualize what I'm saying. Good luck with it, it has gotten easier for me.

mosaicthinking 02-25-2011 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
I didn't starch...stupid,stupid,stupid
David

Maybe not so stupid. There are many ways :-) I never starch.

luckylindy333 02-25-2011 04:28 PM

I have decided that I need to unfold the fabric and use my longest ruler. Eleanor Burns said on one of her Quilt in a Day T. V. shows that if the bottom edge of the fabric is not straight up against a straight line, it will cause bowing, but I don't get that...

BellaBoo 02-25-2011 04:28 PM

I wasted so much fabric having V shape cut strips that I saved money buying the Go. The GO Baby is worth it if you only cut strips with it.

Heartwarming quilts 02-25-2011 04:31 PM

I never starch but do square the fabric 1st and then every 2 or3 (?) if I get off. As long as I apply pressure on the ruler the whole way up you should be good to go.