Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What am I doing Wrong (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-am-i-doing-wrong-t108195.html)

Carol Wilson 03-16-2011 04:15 PM

I just cannot seem to have success with my "Walking Foot", I have watched numerous tutorials but my "Quilt Sandwich" still puckers, underneath more than the top.,

I reduce the tension on the work attach the walking foot properly
select a larger stitch length but it still puckers, please ladies what am I doing wrong?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-16-2011 04:23 PM

I have found that starching the backing fabric heavily helps me with puckers. I also spray baste and then because I'm paranoid I pin some, too.

knlsmith 03-16-2011 04:25 PM

How are you basting your sandwich? I had same problem until I started using spray basting. Could be more of a basting problem. Also, are your feed dogs up? They need to be engaged to use a walking foot.

suebee 03-16-2011 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Carol Wilson
I just cannot seem to have success with my "Walking Foot", I have watched numerous tutorials but my "Quilt Sandwich" still puckers, underneath more than the top.,

I reduce the tension on the work attach the walking foot properly
select a larger stitch length but it still puckers, please ladies what am I doing wrong?

You know...I was having the very same issue and finally figured it out. My presser foot tension was too tight. keep trying. I know its frustrating however. You will get it.

Monika 03-16-2011 04:44 PM

I had that problem when I went down one row and up the other. It was OK on the up and dow, but when I went across, I got puckers. Don't know if this info will help you, but it was driving me crazy. I did it because someone recommended that method....ick!

Shelbie 03-16-2011 05:03 PM

Have you attached the walking foot correctly? The little arm has to go around your needle bar or rest on top (Janome). If that isn't happening the walking foot doesn't engage. Do you have the correct walking foot for your machine? Not all generic walking feet will work on every machine (Husqvarna & Bernina only take their own). Lastly the walking foot could be defective (I had one that just wouldn't work). Hope you get this figured out soon.

quilt1950 03-16-2011 05:09 PM

With my generic walking foot, I need to be very careful with 'drag'. If I don't have my quilt properly supported, I have all sorts of problems.

MadQuilter 03-16-2011 05:10 PM

How taut is your sandwich? It sounds to me like your backing may be a little lose (or is that loose?).

I tape my backing dow with blue tape and keep it very taut (but not overstretched). Then I lay the batting on in halves and pat it out until it lays very flat. I repeat with the top and pat it down - slightly smoothing it out from the center out. Then I pin about hand-width apart. Since this method, I have not had any puckers.

Have you tried on a trial piece to see if the problem with the walking foot?

happyscrappy 03-16-2011 05:41 PM

ou might have better results if you put one hand in front and one in back of the foot. slightly stretching, but not really stretching. i don't really know how to word that, but i hope you understand what i mean.

alaskasunshine 03-16-2011 05:44 PM

If I was really stumped I'd take my machine and project to a LQS and show them your delima. It's probably something you are just not seeing :shock: Relax and let another pair of eyes check it out. :-D