Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what am I doing wrong? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-am-i-doing-wrong-t67611.html)

JAM 09-30-2010 12:54 PM

Just bought a walking foot for my pennycrest 3000 machine. Made sure the arm is over the needle screw and was working . Started breaking thread after few stitches. Now breaking needles after 2or3 stitches. Used whole package of needles. The needle is hitting the edge of the walking foot. Does the w foot shift when using to quilt a large quilt? What are the tips for this w foot? Thanks for help, Jeanne

amma 09-30-2010 12:55 PM

I don't think you have the foot seated correctly, it may be slightly twisted.
Try taking it off and putting it back on again :wink:

littlehud 09-30-2010 01:19 PM

Mine did that the time I didn't have the screw to hold it on tight enough.

donnajean 09-30-2010 01:56 PM

My Viking Rose has an adjustment for moving needle from left to right. However, I don't remember ever having to adjust the needle position for the waking foot.

miss_ticky2 09-30-2010 02:17 PM

Did you tighten the screw that holds it on with a screwdriver? I find if I don't, the foot can work loose and shift position

MadQuilter 09-30-2010 03:04 PM

After you reseat the foot and rethread the machine, try things out by turning the handwheel. As you turn the wheel and the needle moves slowly, you will be able to see if it will hit the foot or go through.

I would even walk the unit through a cycle without a needle just to see what the foot is doing.

Did you fully rethread your machine?
Did you increase the thread length by a bit because now, the foot has to pull the entire sandwich through?
Is your machine tension automatically adjusted?

arpdesigns28 09-30-2010 03:31 PM

Oh, I've done that before. For me, the walking foot was on crooked. Try, try again. And, good luck. After working on a quilt without the walking foot (it turned out better than I thought it would), well, that very quickly became a favorite.

plainpat 09-30-2010 03:37 PM

All good suggestions. The only thing I could add is, do you have the right size needle? & is the needle inserted right ? Just a couple things to check. Hope it's working now.

JAM 10-01-2010 09:10 AM

Hooray!!! Took w foot off and started the process over from attaching foot to re threading needle .Made sure to tighten with screwdriver. Working great now !! I am surprized at how quickly the quilting was finished. Thanks so much for your help. Jeanne

plainpat 10-01-2010 11:01 AM

Good for you!!!! Makes you feel good when you get everything running right.

Originally Posted by JAM
Hooray!!! Took w foot off and started the process over from attaching foot to re threading needle .Made sure to tighten with screwdriver. Working great now !! I am surprized at how quickly the quilting was finished. Thanks so much for your help. Jeanne