Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: what am I doing wrong?

JAM
    Just bought a walking foot for my pennycrest 3000 machine. Made sure the arm is over the needle screw and was working . Started breaking thread after few stitches. Now breaking needles after 2or3 stitches. Used whole package of needles. The needle is hitting the edge of the walking foot. Does the w foot shift when using to quilt a large quilt? What are the tips for this w foot? Thanks for help, Jeanne

Blog Entries
    I don't think you have the foot seated correctly, it may be slightly twisted.
    Try taking it off and putting it back on again :wink:

Mine did that the time I didn't have the screw to hold it on tight enough.

My Viking Rose has an adjustment for moving needle from left to right. However, I don't remember ever having to adjust the needle position for the waking foot.

Did you tighten the screw that holds it on with a screwdriver? I find if I don't, the foot can work loose and shift position

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    After you reseat the foot and rethread the machine, try things out by turning the handwheel. As you turn the wheel and the needle moves slowly, you will be able to see if it will hit the foot or go through.

I would even walk the unit through a cycle without a needle just to see what the foot is doing.

Did you fully rethread your machine?
    Did you increase the thread length by a bit because now, the foot has to pull the entire sandwich through?
    Is your machine tension automatically adjusted?

Oh, I've done that before. For me, the walking foot was on crooked. Try, try again. And, good luck. After working on a quilt without the walking foot (it turned out better than I thought it would), well, that very quickly became a favorite.

Blog Entries
    All good suggestions. The only thing I could add is, do you have the right size needle? & is the needle inserted right ? Just a couple things to check. Hope it's working now.

JAM
    Hooray!!! Took w foot off and started the process over from attaching foot to re threading needle .Made sure to tighten with screwdriver. Working great now !! I am surprized at how quickly the quilting was finished. Thanks so much for your help. Jeanne

Blog Entries
    Good for you!!!! Makes you feel good when you get everything running right.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    Hooray!!! Took w foot off and started the process over from attaching foot to re threading needle .Made sure to tighten with screwdriver. Working great now !! I am surprized at how quickly the quilting was finished. Thanks so much for your help. Jeanne