Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-am-i-missing-am-i-really-dumb-t113997.html)

Suzi 04-06-2011 10:26 AM

I have read the book and read CuteBuns' tute 'til I'm blue in the face and I STILL can't figure out how to sew this OBW together. Is there anyone out there who can help me here? I'm a visual person - I guess just reading the instructions isn't penatrating

amma 04-06-2011 10:30 AM

You sew half hexagons, 3 pieces together. Lay them out as a whole block on a design wall, bed, floor, etc...

Sew 2 more halves together and place them next to the first one. You need to place the second one upside down to get the sides to match up.

Keep going until all of the blocks are sewn and switch the blocks around til you are happy with how they look.

Once you are happy with the layout, then you will sew the halves into strips vertically, and then all of the strips together :D:D:D

TonnieLoree 04-06-2011 10:31 AM

Oh, I don't think you are dumb at all. You're here aren't you? And you are asking an intelligent question. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. I need visuals myself! I'll be watching this thread because I want to know.

Treasureit 04-06-2011 10:32 AM

Can you find a class in your area? Hopefully the experts on here will see this and lend a hand. Once you figure it out you will realize it wasn't that hard, it is just different that sewing squares.

Suzi 04-06-2011 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by amma
You sew half hexagons, 3 pieces together. Lay them out as a whole block on a design wall, bed, floor, etc...

Sew 2 more halves together and place them next to the first one. You need to place the second one upside down to get the sides to match up.

Keep going until all of the blocks are sewn and switch the blocks around til you are happy with how they look.

Once you are happy with the layout, then you will sew the halves into strips vertically, and then all of the strips together :D:D:D

Amma - including a picture of the layout - now - do I sew from the pointed end down or from the square end across? I did 2 rows from the square end and that just didn't work right so ripped it out. Figured I'd better ask before I sew anymore ............

kathy 04-06-2011 10:41 AM

it looks like you sewed thw whole hex together, you don't do that, only 1/2 the sew 1/2 of the next one onto the end, so you have a long row of halves, then when you make the next row of halves, you sew the two rows togwther, that makes the block complete

moonwork42029 04-06-2011 10:43 AM

It's very pretty

saf 04-06-2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
it looks like you sewed thw whole hex together, you don't do that, only 1/2 the sew 1/2 of the next one onto the end, so you have a long row of halves, then when you make the next row of halves, you sew the two rows togwther, that makes the block complete

Thanks for your explanation Kathy. Like Suzi, I was struggling to understand. Now it all makes sense. I can picture it in my mind now. :thumbup:

Suzi 04-06-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by kathy

LOL - no, the hexes aren't sewn together - they are in halves of 3 triangles each. My brain is simply boggled is all - maybe I should lay them out so that the (proposed) seam is running the opposite way? Can't see where that would make a difference though

Rebecca VLQ 04-06-2011 10:52 AM

Think of it like sewing trapezoids together....one up, one down. You will always be sewing on the angled sides to make a row. Then you will attach all the rows together...