Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)?

Blog Entries
    I have read the book and read CuteBuns' tute 'til I'm blue in the face and I STILL can't figure out how to sew this OBW together. Is there anyone out there who can help me here? I'm a visual person - I guess just reading the instructions isn't penatrating

Blog Entries
    You sew half hexagons, 3 pieces together. Lay them out as a whole block on a design wall, bed, floor, etc...

Sew 2 more halves together and place them next to the first one. You need to place the second one upside down to get the sides to match up.

Keep going until all of the blocks are sewn and switch the blocks around til you are happy with how they look.

Once you are happy with the layout, then you will sew the halves into strips vertically, and then all of the strips together :D:D:D

Oh, I don't think you are dumb at all. You're here aren't you? And you are asking an intelligent question. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. I need visuals myself! I'll be watching this thread because I want to know.

Can you find a class in your area? Hopefully the experts on here will see this and lend a hand. Once you figure it out you will realize it wasn't that hard, it is just different that sewing squares.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    You sew half hexagons, 3 pieces together. Lay them out as a whole block on a design wall, bed, floor, etc...

Sew 2 more halves together and place them next to the first one. You need to place the second one upside down to get the sides to match up.

Keep going until all of the blocks are sewn and switch the blocks around til you are happy with how they look.

Once you are happy with the layout, then you will sew the halves into strips vertically, and then all of the strips together :D:D:D
    Amma - including a picture of the layout - now - do I sew from the pointed end down or from the square end across? I did 2 rows from the square end and that just didn't work right so ripped it out. Figured I'd better ask before I sew anymore ............
    Attached Images Attached Images

it looks like you sewed thw whole hex together, you don't do that, only 1/2 the sew 1/2 of the next one onto the end, so you have a long row of halves, then when you make the next row of halves, you sew the two rows togwther, that makes the block complete

It's very pretty

saf
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    it looks like you sewed thw whole hex together, you don't do that, only 1/2 the sew 1/2 of the next one onto the end, so you have a long row of halves, then when you make the next row of halves, you sew the two rows togwther, that makes the block complete
    Thanks for your explanation Kathy. Like Suzi, I was struggling to understand. Now it all makes sense. I can picture it in my mind now. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    LOL - no, the hexes aren't sewn together - they are in halves of 3 triangles each. My brain is simply boggled is all - maybe I should lay them out so that the (proposed) seam is running the opposite way? Can't see where that would make a difference though

Think of it like sewing trapezoids together....one up, one down. You will always be sewing on the angled sides to make a row. Then you will attach all the rows together...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saf
    Thanks for your explanation Kathy. Like Suzi, I was struggling to understand. Now it all makes sense. I can picture it in my mind now. :thumbup:
    saf - I'm sure glad you get it because I can't! I'm down on the floor with the halves in my hands putting them together and still not seeing it. Oh Lordy - and I graduated with Honors for Heaven's sake!!!

take the first halfs off the first row and set them aside then separate the next row in the middle of the block look at it I think you'll see how it sew in row then

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    LOL - no, the hexes aren't sewn together - they are in halves of 3 triangles each. My brain is simply boggled is all - maybe I should lay them out so that the (proposed) seam is running the opposite way? Can't see where that would make a difference though
    Suzi, let me see if I can explain this. You need to change your layout so that the first half hex in the first row is pointing the other direction than the first half hex in the second row. To get a square quilt, you end up loosing some half hexagons.
    Check out my OBW here.http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-111130-1.htm
    I left some hexs to fall out if the border, but notice how on top I have one half hex short side to the left the one next to it and underneath it to the right and so one. Just alternate the orientation of the short side on touching half hexs. Hope I didn't confuse you.

Blog Entries
    I'm confused - so I think I shall go shovel out the dog kennels (that always relaxes my brain 'cause it's a totally no-brainer thing to do) and maybe when I return I'll have an "AHA" moment ......... think???

saf
    saf - I'm sure glad you get it because I can't! I'm down on the floor with the halves in my hands putting them together and still not seeing it. Oh Lordy - and I graduated with Honors for Heaven's sake!!!
    When I'm laying out a design I always seem to end up on the floor too. Maybe while you're down there you could try a quick prayer.... :idea:

Suzi, another verbal explaination:

you take the bottom half of the first hex and sew it to the top half of the next hex (don't start on the top or bottom row). and keep doing this all the way across your quilt

Next 'row' up sew the top half of the first hex that matches the first hex of your previous sewn row and sew it to the bottom half of a different hex. repeat across quilt

Next 'row' up you pick a new hex bottom and sew it to the matching top hex of the previous row. repeat across quilt.

Does that help at all?

saf
    When I'm laying out a design I always seem to end up on the floor too. Maybe while you're down there you could try a quick prayer.... :idea:
    Go away and sleep on it......this works too (hugs!)

Blog Entries
    you sew halves together in straight rows. nothing easier. you just have to watch and match the next row before sewing together. then they will look like whole hex's sewn at one time.
    if you make some, lay out half of them in rows, alternating placements of the halves seam, top, bottom, you will see how to do them.

Suzi, YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT! Lets see if we can get that lightbulb to turn on, I'm gonna try. Ok, looking at your pic, focusing on bottom right hand corner. Visually remove the 1/2 hexs that are hanging out space(just the half in space now) When you do that, do you see the "row" that is created with "1/2 of a full, then the leftover 1/2 of one you took away, then 1/2 of a full, then the leftover 1/2 of one you took away, etc". I think if you can see that "row" you are on your way. All of your rows will be 1/2 of one hex facing one way, and then next portion is 1/2 of the next hex facing the other way. Hope that didnt muddy the waters even more.

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Yes Suzi sometimes you need to get away from the project and clear your mind..I don't think cleaning dog kennels would be my 1st choice tho *LOL* I started a Not your Grandmother's Tumbling Block quilt for my son & Dil as a wedding gift..well here it is 6 1/2 years later and I am still stumped on it!! I started it in a class which the teacher didn't show up for? The shop refunded our money but didn't bother to reschedule the class...A young gal happened to come in the shop and she had taken the class before so she showed us all how to cut the fabric and got us started...but said she had 3 kids at home with her DH so couldn't stay any longer. That is all I got done...
    Hope you figure it out..I am a visual learner too..I really need to get this project out and complete it.. every time my DS comes over and I am sewing he says "Oh geez that doesn't look like our wedding quilt Mom"
    Happy Stitchin' Linda b.

Try sending k3n a PM she does beautiful OBW and she was a great help to me when I was starting one.

Blog Entries
    Here is a close up of my OBW

See how each individual hexagon unit is off set? They do not line up in a row, they kind of zig zag.

I hope this helps :D

Blog Entries
    Once you get them lined up in this manner, then you just sew each half straight across. Sewing half of one hex to half of another.

I sewed all the strips together this way, then started sewing these strips together, in sets of twos.

Then the twos into fours and so on. It made it easier to handle this way :D:D:D

Great advice there. I've seen that before, and it works fantastic!

Pardon the really bad picture, but maybe this will get the construction across. First sew together the red strip, then the blue strip, then sew the red strip to the blue strip.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast