Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the appea of Yellow Brick Road pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-appea-yellow-brick-road-pattern-t104914.html)

Jim's Gem 03-04-2011 10:04 AM

A friend of mine made one and appliqued a yellow brick road through the quilt and used Wizard of Oz fabrics. It was great!!!
I like the pattern for a couple reasons. It is easy, great for a beginner. It is fast, if you need to whip up a quick quilt you can with this pattern. I like using a lot of different fabrics in a quilt and this will let you do that. You can make it using scraps if you like. I have purchased most of the patterns I have used. I was, at that time, unaware of all the "free" patterns out there. I still prefer to purchase a pattern and use it over and over again. I have taught people to quilt using this pattern and because it is a "pattern" all the instruction are there in full.
It is good that we all have our own likes and dislikes. This would be a terribly boring world if we all liked the same things.

And yes, it is mostly about the fabric choices

crafty_linda_b 03-04-2011 10:04 AM

I haven't tried the yellow brick road pattern yet. I have made some turning 20 ones. They are fast too do.
I love the quilt on the link that MTS posted of the Kaffe fabrics. My choice for quilting is to hand applique. I especially love sunbonnets. I just finished a qn size top of sunbonnet dutch girls for my only DGD. I need to get it quilted. If I could stay off this site for a couple of days I could probably accomplish that *L*
Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

EasyPeezy 03-04-2011 10:05 AM

YBR was my first big quilt and so will probably remain my favorite (quilt).
Don't know if I will be making another one just because I don't like to
do the same thing twice. There are so many patterns out there.
I think you pretty much answered your question...to each his own. :)

suezquilts 03-04-2011 10:30 AM

Any of Terri's patterns are well written, meaning you will cut and use exactly what you need. Also she help you to use the fabric in a practical way, so little waste.
You never can go wrong with an Atkinson pattern.

pamesue 03-04-2011 10:31 AM

easy quilt for beginners and a quick quilt to make...while not my favorite I still make one from time to time to give as a quick gift

Raggiemom 03-04-2011 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I loved the Yellow Brick Road pattern. I used all yellow fat quarters to make a quilt for my parents for Christmas. It goes together easily and quickly.

running1 03-04-2011 10:38 AM

Yellow Brick Road was the first quilt I made... it's easy and quick. I made so many blocks with the fabric I had collected I ended up with two quilts! Gave one to my DFIL and one to my sis... both loved them. It gave me the confidence and a sense of accomplishment to continue quilting... Plus, I've never seen a really BAD YBR?

Melody 03-04-2011 10:50 AM

How interesting that you posted this and I'm just working on my first Yellow Brick Road! I saw one that was hanging in a quilt store and it was so pretty that I bought the pattern. It had dark blues and bright yellows, some with prints but mostly not. I'm not very good at deciphering directions, but I'm going to give it a try. And everyone's input saying how easy it is, well that is encouraging!

running1 03-04-2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Melody
How interesting that you posted this and I'm just working on my first Yellow Brick Road! I saw one that was hanging in a quilt store and it was so pretty that I bought the pattern. It had dark blues and bright yellows, some with prints but mostly not. I'm not very good at deciphering directions, but I'm going to give it a try. And everyone's input saying how easy it is, well that is encouraging!

Melody, if you'll follow the directions, you will be so pleased! In no time, you'll have a beautiful quilt!! Have fun!!

Cheshire Cat 03-04-2011 11:07 AM

It is a great piece to learn on and if you need a quick quilt it is super easy to use with fat quarters from your stash. Its like your fall-back cassorole when you have unexpected guests. So it isn't gourmet, it still has a place and a purpose. My hubby wanted me to whip up a quilt for a sick SIL. I did it in one day. I figured it beats a 9 patch for looks. Has enough style to not looked tossed together but still the ease of tossing it together.

Great little pattern. I love Atkinsons