Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the appea of Yellow Brick Road pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-appea-yellow-brick-road-pattern-t104914.html)

Jim's Gem 03-04-2011 11:13 AM

"Great little pattern. I love Atkinsons"

I love most of her patterns too!!!

debbieumphress 03-04-2011 11:15 AM

The YBR and Turning Twenty patterns go together quickly and I do lots of charity quilts and these are great for them. Of course, when I hear YBR I think of the Wizard of Oz. Did one in Oz fabric too. Guess we all like different patterns. I just look at the picture section to see this. Easy, medium, hard, and OMgosh, how did they do that??? ROFL

PiecesinMn 03-04-2011 11:19 AM

I agree. I too have taught this class and its a wonderful, clearly written pattern for new and experienced quilters. It works for all colorations. This is one of my favorite quilt designers (could it be because she is from Minnesota?) and I love all her patterns that I have used.

Originally Posted by belmer
I think the designer called it that because of the yellow and the blues she used in it. This has been a very popular pattern for beginners, because of the use of fat quarters,and the cutting meathods and piecing it together. This pattern looks fabulous no matter what colors you use. I have made many of these quilts for friends and family.

LaurieE 03-04-2011 12:08 PM

I've been quilting since 1973 and I have a ton of patterns ranging from super easy to challenging. I've made 2 quilts with this pattern one of which was flannel. I was amazed at how different each one looked.

What I like about this pattern is there is minimal cutting, no templates, it uses a handful of fat quarters, and the top can be made in a weekend. It's an excellent pattern for a beginner with minimal investment in fabric or time.

I can't say this pattern makes an awe-inspiring quilt because it doesn't. But it does make a fantastic utility quilt. It's definitely a pattern that you either like (note I didn't say love) or you don't.

It's like the pattern Strip Search. That is a super simple pattern where you could make the same statement. I have seen several of these quilts in various colorways and each one looks better than the one before it.
photo: http://www.gequiltdesigns.com/images...rip_Search.jpg

I have found in my many years of quilt making, that some patterns will speak to you and you will want to make them while others will not.

Melody 03-04-2011 12:11 PM

Well, I have been taking a closer look at the pattern and wondering why did I think this was hard to understand? I'm cuting away now! Nothing easier than this!
thanks everyone!

Queen Deb 03-04-2011 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by bizybess
I'm in the group that never cared for Yellow Brick Road or Turning Twenty patterns. I have seen some I like better than others but I believe it is all about the fabric choices.

I agree with this. I have made 2 ybr and don't care for either one. They are just sitting on the what was I thinking pile.

stitches_ia 03-04-2011 12:30 PM

I made a yellow and blue Yellow Brick Road and then I wondered why? I have never liked the one I did. I guess that I like a more organized pattern and something more defined. I don't think I would ever make another one. I know this has been an extremely popular pattern and it would be a great beginner project. It does make up fast and that's what a beginner needs. So it does have it's place among quilter's for being a fast, easy quilt to do.

Ladyjanedoe 03-04-2011 12:32 PM

Newer quilters often need a pattern. We all don't start as intermediate sewers. I don't see anything wrong with buying a pattern--even if it is for an easier design.

Melody 03-04-2011 12:42 PM

I don't consider myself an expert not by a long shot (only been quilting for 5 years.) And usually I prefer the triangles and flying geese blocks... nice and orderly, tidy looking. But I rarely follow a pattern for the overall quilt. I make up my own layouts. I can design on paper then follow my own ideas. But following someone else's directions, throws me for a loop. So this is a good learning experience for me.

Mariposa 03-04-2011 01:10 PM

The pattern is easy and quick. Fabric choices make a difference. Terri Atkinson's patterns and books are fun. Her site is: www.atkinsondesigns.com.
Hope you find something fun for you! :)