Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the best black? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-best-black-t214607.html)

ghostrider 02-24-2013 10:45 AM

In addition to the regular Kona Cotton Solids, Kaufman also makes a more tightly woven double-dyed black...Kona Premium Jet Black (there's also a Kona Premium Ultra White). They do cost slightly more than the regular Kona solids.

Cottage Dee 02-24-2013 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fabricgator (Post 5882516)
Kona cotton black! It's what my Amish friend suggests!

That is Kona, not Kaufman Kona, right?

ghostrider 02-24-2013 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cottage Dee (Post 5885365)
That is Kona, not Kaufman Kona, right?

Do you mean Kona Bay Fabrics' solids?

Cottage Dee 02-24-2013 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5885459)
Do you mean Kona Bay Fabrics' solids?

Im so confused with the Kona name. There is Kona fabric at Joann's, Kaufman Kona Bay, and what else?

ghostrider 02-24-2013 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by snipforfun (Post 5884083)
I buy kona black and snow by the bolt when Hancocks of Paducah has free shipping. If you buy 15 yards (size of bolt) you get additional discount.

The only color with a quantity discount left on it is white, and I suspect they simply forgot to remove that one. All the others disappeared the first of January. :hunf:

Prism99 02-24-2013 03:08 PM

It's confusing, I think, because of the Kona Bay brand of fabrics. Kona Bay is a different manufacturer than Kaufman.

From what I have read elsewhere, I think that fabrics simply labeled Kona or Kona Bay cannot be assumed to be Kaufman Kona fabrics. For me, I just always look for Kaufman on the bolt or in the description. I seldom shop for solid colors, so have not run across the non-Kaufman Kona so far.

ghostrider 02-24-2013 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cottage Dee (Post 5885463)
Im so confused with the Kona name. There is Kona fabric at Joann's, Kaufman Kona Bay, and what else?

There's no such thing as "Kaufman Kona Bay". Robert Kaufman Fabrics is one company and they make Kona Cotton Solids. Kona Bay Fabrics is another company and they make primarily asian fabrics, but they also have a few solids. There is some dispute as to whether the 'Kona' sold at some JoAnn's stores is actually Kaufman Kona or not. When in doubt, it's best to make sure the Kaufman name is on the end of the bolt. The word Kona, when not trademarked, refers to a place...like Bali, Paris, or Kalamazoo. Clear as mud, right? :)

createfourpaws 02-24-2013 03:21 PM

When I have used or needed a solid black, I use the Amish black from Keepsake Quilting. I have never had any problems with it bleeding or fading. I buy it 10 to 20 yards at a time. Just depends on what I need it for.

I like to get it from the same bolt/lot whenever possible.

SewExtremeSeams 02-24-2013 03:57 PM

Thank you everyone for your input. It is nice to hear from those with experience.

irquilter 02-25-2013 04:23 AM

Moda black is consistent and a very nice black.