Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the best black?

What is the best black?

I want to make a scrapy Irish Chain using black as the background. I'm looking for suggestions for the manufcturer that makes a black that stays true color when washed and doesn't bleed onto the other fabrics. I made a twin size a few years ago, and when washed, it "grayed" the other colors. I was not happy and have stayed away from black. Here is what I want to make:

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...ain-quilt.html scrappy triple irish chain...using black instead of white background...stunning

You have to scroll down a bit...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deanna in SE Michigan

Blog Entries
    Oh my that is beautiful. I want to do an irish chain and I have been collecting 2 inch squares to make a scrappy. This would work for both my goals. I would love to make this but have not clue on the black recommend. I will watch to see what the QB has to say. Thanks so much for the link. I really like it on point too.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Keepsake quilting has a deep black. I think they say something about it being very close to an amish black-??
    Anyways, nice stuff.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I like Kona cotton black. If you want to check Keepsake Quilting on line, keepsakequilting.com, they sell a black they call "Amish Black". They call it a true black the will stand up to washing. My Mom used it in an Amish-style quilt she made and it washed beautifully. Just a couple of ideas.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

I like the Moda Bella Solids in Jet Black. I pre-wash and use color catchers when I wash a finished quilt so that would prevent any problems.

I hear micheal millers jet black is nice as well. I have only used kona so I have nothing to compare it to. I have also heard good things about moda bella solids as well
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

Kona cotton black! It's what my Amish friend suggests!

One thing to remember is to buy enough of your black before you start. Trying to match blacks after the fact is impossible.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I've been happy with Kona Cotton Black. I haven't used any of the brands mentioned above though.

QKO
    Maywood Studios double-dyed Black Magic. Excellent hand and finish, deep true black, and said to be colorfast (but I'd test it, like any fabric).

Michael Miller jet black is my favorate - it has a softer "hand" then the Kona black - I quess it would depend on the hand feel of your other fabrics and of course MM jet black cost more then Kona.

You might want to make sure you wash a piece of the black before using it -- this will give you an idea if the color bleeds and if the fabric will gray a bit once it is washed. I like the Michael Miller and Maywood studios black. Yes, be sure you buy enough to finish the project -- some blacks have a blue cast, some are a bit gray and some a red cast and you don't want them side by side.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    Michael Miller's Jet Black is the blackest black, and I think it remains true through washings. I haven't washed mine yet, so don't know that for a fact.

If you can, it would be great to buy half a yard of several blacks and test. Come to think of it, maybe I will do that at some point in the future. I would cut each one in half, label each (maybe with white embroidery?), then wash one half of each manufacturer under harsh conditions in the washing machine, afterwards comparing the washed half with the new half to see if color is retained well.

Edit: I should add that I have used Kaufman Kona black and find the hand to be unusually coarse -- sort of thick and meaty, and I found that the edges of strips seem to fray frantically. The Michael Miller Jet Black that I have has a much nicer hand and did not fray like the Kona. I do believe the Kona is sure to retain its color, however.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    One thing to remember is to buy enough of your black before you start. Trying to match blacks after the fact is impossible.
    My preference is 5 or 6 blacks, or 20 blacks helps the eye move across the surface and adds interest. And there is zero chance of running out of a fabric.

Kona black is one of the truest black and is most used by Amish..

Yes the Amish black at Keepsake is beautiful fabric. Only black I ever use.

Kona black is the one we sell at the shop.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Eclipse by Blank Quilting. Jet Black. Dyed to be a true black. Put it up against other black fabrics, it passes every time! I buy it by the bolt.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    I buy kona black and snow by the bolt when Hancocks of Paducah has free shipping. If you buy 15 yards (size of bolt) you get additional discount.

I've only used Kona Black and very happy with the quality. Haven't had a problem with fading onto other fabrics. I agree with ArtsyOne, be sure and purchaset the amount you need from the same bolt.

In addition to the regular Kona Cotton Solids, Kaufman also makes a more tightly woven double-dyed black...Kona Premium Jet Black (there's also a Kona Premium Ultra White). They do cost slightly more than the regular Kona solids.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricgator View Post
    Kona cotton black! It's what my Amish friend suggests!
    That is Kona, not Kaufman Kona, right?
    Deanna in SE Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Cottage Dee View Post
    That is Kona, not Kaufman Kona, right?
    Do you mean Kona Bay Fabrics' solids?

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Do you mean Kona Bay Fabrics' solids?
    Im so confused with the Kona name. There is Kona fabric at Joann's, Kaufman Kona Bay, and what else?
    Deanna in SE Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    I buy kona black and snow by the bolt when Hancocks of Paducah has free shipping. If you buy 15 yards (size of bolt) you get additional discount.
    The only color with a quantity discount left on it is white, and I suspect they simply forgot to remove that one. All the others disappeared the first of January.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast