Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the best most inexpensive thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-best-most-inexpensive-thread-t13934.html)

Quilter101 11-28-2008 05:41 AM

Hi
I am looking to see what the best kind of thread is, for my machines. Threadart.com has cotton and poly thread for 1000 yards/meters for 2.00$. Is it good quality? Would you recomend something else?
thanks
Emily

Elizabeth A. 11-28-2008 06:37 AM

I like the MaxiLock Polyester on a cone at Joann's I always get it on sale or with coupons and the spools last a long time. But if you aren't set up for cones. :(

patricej 11-28-2008 08:24 AM

i have tons of Threadart cotton solids and variegated. every huge once in a while, i see teeeeeeeeeeeeeny tiny knots in the solid thread where the lenghts have apparently been tied together to roll a full spool. at high speed, the thread breaks as those knots hit the eye of the needle.

i have had absolutely no problems with the variegated cottons.

i don't know yet about their polyester. i just ordered some for the first time and it hasn't arrived yet.

for the price, it's great. when i'm in a position to afford to pay a bit more, i think i'll shop around and try a different brand for my solid cottons.

Moonpi 11-28-2008 08:33 AM

The cone thread holders are around 6 bucks, and they are easy to use. Mine comes apart to store.

I have a lot of cone thread cones from industrial sewing that will take years to use up, but use Gutterman for piecing. I also tend to use a better thread for actual quilting, where I do not want to re-do it a few years down the road.

For potholders and decorative items, things with a limited life span, thread would not be as important as a bed quilt used and washed for years.

Up North 11-28-2008 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
I like the MaxiLock Polyester on a cone at Joann's I always get it on sale or with coupons and the spools last a long time. But if you aren't set up for cones. :(

My son made me a thread holder from a dollar paper towel holder that I found at dollar tree. It works great. And I use the cones from Joanns.

judee0624 11-28-2008 02:02 PM

I have been using Guttermann that I get on sale for piecing. I just got some cotton thread from Connecting Threads and it is wonderful. Try it. www.ConnectingThreads.com

judee

beachlady 11-28-2008 03:32 PM

I use Conecting Threads and have had no problems with it.

patricej 11-29-2008 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by beachlady
I use Conecting Threads and have had no problems with it.

and their prices are very reasonable. it's in my "favorites" now! can't wait to try them. :-)

Carol W 11-29-2008 04:57 AM

I never know which thread to buy.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

sandpat 11-29-2008 05:05 AM

I use Connecting Thread cottons for piecing and Isacord for embroidery...different types of threads for quilting...depends on the "look" that I want.